Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to get my first one towards the end of the month... I've heard a lot of good comments about X-Mark and John Deere. Any other suggestions?

Or any bad comments about X-Mark or John Deere;)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Toro three years ago. It's a great machine. Toro was consumers digest best buy then. No issues with it at all. I haven't heard any bad things about the other brands. Only thing I have heard for all rider mowers in general is stay away from Briggs and Stratton engines. Kohler and Kawasaki are much better.

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
Purchased a hustler Super Z 60" cut, with a 25 HP Kawasaki engine 5 years ago.

It has been a trouble free very good mover for me. 5 acres, hills, lots and lots of trees and a pond to mow around. Every time I mow it is 3-1/2 hrs non stop fun:)

If you have a lot of grass to cut I don't think you will be disappointed in an Hustler, XMark, Scag, etc, etc commercial mower. Don't purchase a zero turn from a big box store and expect the same quality as a commercial unit from an outdoor equipment store. The commercial units get pricey but they will last a long time.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Have a Gravely. Most part it is a great mower. Have two problems. When I am on a hill or incline, the hydraulics do not work right. Steering is a real bitch. (there is none) When making a turn to go back down the line I just cut, the tires seem to rip up the grass where the tire pivioted. I've tried all techniques when making the turn. Have relatively flat yard so the first problem not a serious issue with me. Having the second problem is giving me something to do while cutting grass. This is my first z turn mower, and I doubt when or if I have to buy another mower, I'll go back to a tractor style mower.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My brother in law married an ugly, fat rich women and he bought a zero turn that he said they paid over $13,000 bucks for. He said the Kawasaki motor would have cost him an extra $3,000 on top of that. It was orange and had no plastic, all thick steel. He said it could do 20mph. I can't remember the brand name. Anybody know what it might be? It was an odd sounding name that I never heard of.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
My brother in law married an ugly, fat rich women and he bought a zero turn that he said they paid over $13,000 bucks for. He said the Kawasaki motor would have cost him an extra $3,000 on top of that. It was orange and had no plastic, all thick steel. He said it could do 20mph. I can't remember the brand name. Anybody know what it might be? It was an odd sounding name that I never heard of.
Shouldn't talk about your sister that way.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
7thcorps-Maybe a Kubota?? Anyways,,hang_loose,,I work on ALL of Akron Public Schools Air cooled & some of liquid cooled Lawn equip. (Single Handedly/38yrs.!!)... We recently bought the Hustler brand,,Walk-b-hind's & we also tested their Zero's,,ended up with one Zero(60") & 8 - 48" W.B.H.s.. The end result for all of the Hustlers is that I have had VERY FEW complaints of that brand,,But after all the testing of Deere,,Hustler,,E-mark,,& Toro,,& Snapper..The Grounds Dept. where I work,, bought a 72" Kubota Diesel !! THAT SOB will FLAT OUT cut an entire Football Field in just under 45min!!&,, It will do 20 mph.. It was right around $15,000... The Hustler's(60") are about 8,G's.. & they are built of VERY HEAVY STEEL !! The drive & deck,, are also WELL guaranteed !! ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<-----

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
7thcorps-Maybe a Kubota?? Anyways,,hang_loose,,I work on ALL of Akron Public Schools Air cooled & some of liquid cooled Lawn equip. (Single Handedly/38yrs.!!)... We recently bought the Hustler brand,,Walk-b-hind's & we also tested their Zero's,,ended up with one Zero(60") & 8 - 48" W.B.H.s.. The end result for all of the Hustlers is that I have had VERY FEW complaints of that brand,,But after all the testing of Deere,,Hustler,,E-mark,,& Toro,,& Snapper..The Grounds Dept. where I work,, bought a 72" Kubota Diesel !! THAT SOB will FLAT OUT cut an entire Football Field in just under 45min!!&,, It will do 20 mph.. It was right around $15,000... The Hustler's(60") are about 8,G's.. & they are built of VERY HEAVY STEEL !! The drive & deck,, are also WELL guaranteed !! ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<-----
I wondered what you did!! You going to moonlight on lawn equipment when you retire?? Might have some work for you............:)
The "orange" one with the funny name might be a "Bad Boy". TSC sells them. Built like tanks(might be the same company that makes the electri hunting buggies all the pros use on Outdoor Channel!! Wish I could afford one to mow my 5 acres! Have two of the big Craftsman riders with Koehlers. They seem to run hard and long! Not zt's though which would be nice!!

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,546 Posts
I have a lazer z exmark awesome machine, exmark have the best dry cut on the market and will stripe the best along with scag. Scag have the best cut overall the decks are less likely to clump. They are by far the workhorse mower for the landscape industry. Hustler ales a good mower as well. You guys mentioned some other great options as well just depends on the property, how much your cutting and how much you want to spend 3-15k is a huge range to spend.

Jd are generally overpriced and the decks are stamped not welded lie the ones mention above they cut good though. You have to send a lot to get into one f there better mowers there lower line modes are meh.

Go to lawnsite and check out the home owners forum stickied at the top and commercial mowing ad search on the models your looking at for pro opinions

·
Registered
38 Posts
Look at the Ferris mowers. I have a 3100 series big block Ferris and it is great. Ferris has independent suspension with a shock absorber on each wheel. Has a very smooth cut and rides great. Ground speed is 13 mph and you can actually ride it and cut grass at that speed. Had a John Deere, which I loved but rode so rough my chiropractor recommended switching to the Ferris. Still miss the John Deere as I love green, but with the Ferris I am fresh a daisy after I cut grass. I also do not have to go to the chiropractor.
Ferris are a little on the pricey side but well worth the money. (IMO)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
As mentioned before, stay away from the big box stores. They offer John dere & cub cadets, toros etc.. These are NOT the same as offered by a true dealer. They are spin-offs from the real thing. Made CHEAP for the commom home owner.
Check with a true dealer, they'll inform you in a educated way.

Scag =. Hands down a $ great $ commercial machine.

NIK,

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
As mentioned before, stay away from the big box stores. They offer John dere & cub cadets, toros etc.. These are NOT the same as offered by a true dealer. They are spin-offs from the real thing. Made CHEAP for the commom home owner.
Check with a true dealer, they'll inform you in a educated way.

Scag =. Hands down a $ great $ commercial machine.

NIK,
I was told by a dealer, that MTD makes just about all the mowers at big box stores.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote["I wondered what you did!! You going to moonlight on lawn equipment when you retire?? Might have some work for you............
The "orange" one with the funny name might be a "Bad Boy". TSC sells them. Built like tanks(might be the same company that makes the electri hunting buggies all the pros use on Outdoor Channel!! Wish I could afford one to mow my 5 acres! Have two of the big Craftsman riders with Koehlers. They seem to run hard and long! Not zt's though which would be nice!!"] NO Charlie!!!!! I DON'T WANNA SEE ANOTHER DAMNED LAWNMOWER/WEEDWHACKER/LEAFBLOWER/HEDGETRIMMER/CHAINSAW,,,, -AT ALL!!!! & I MAY HIRE A LAWN SERVICE TO CUT MY YARD TOO!! DONE with that!!! Less than 36hp Boat motors maybe?? BUT fishing & not working is OK by me.......... ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<----- P.S. As was before mentioned,,the Ferris,,NICE & COMFY too!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts