close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Zebra

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by JIG, Nov 25, 2004.

1. I DID SOME RESEARCH ON ZEBRA MUSSELLS TO FIND OUT WHAT IMPACT THEY HAVE HAD. ONE BIOLOGIST SEEMED TO THINK IT WAS A SMALL PART OF A BIGGER PROBLEM. YOU DESIDED! I VISITED DOZENS OF SITES FOR THIS. HOPE YOU ENJOY!
    IN 1986 ZEBRAS WERE INTRODUCED BY BOAT FROM THE BLACK SEA AT THE RATE OF 40000 GAL A MIN TILL 1990 WHEN CONGRESS PASSED A LAW NOT ALLOWING ANY BOATS TO DOCK INTILL THEY FILL THERE BALLAST WITH FRESS WATER. LAKE EARIE STUDIES SHOW A COUNT OF 70000 TO 1 METER. THATS ALOT OF CLAMS! :eek: CLEARITY THEY SAY HAS GONE UP 500% IN THE WEST BASIN MAKING FOR SOME WEED GROWTH.
    ZEBRAS ARE HIGH IN PCB"S IN THAT ADUALTS CAN FILTER AS MUCH AS I LITER A DAY. THEY CONSUMED 80% OF THE BASE FORAGE IN EARIE FROM ZOOPLANKTOM TOO SMALL AQUADIC PLANTS. THEY ARE UV SENSATIVE AND WONT SURVIVE IN WATER OVER 90 DEG. THERE BIGGEST PREDATOR IS THE CRAYFISH AND THE SUNFISH. THEY LAY LARVE THAT IS NOTICED BY THE SPOTS ON GILLS AND FINS OF FISH. THE ONLY COST EFFECTIVE CURE NOW SEEMS TO BE CHLORINE BUT THIS IS TOXIC TO FISH.
    THE ONLY UPPER HAND THAT THE DNR OR DEPT. OF AGGR. SEEM TO HAVE IN CONTROL IS BY LOWERING THE UP-LAND RES. THEY CAN CONTROL THE WEED AND CLAM COUNT BUT THIS IS YET TO BE SEEN. MILLIONS OF DOLLARS ARE SPENT EVERY YEAR ON REMOVAL OF CLAMS IN ERIE. THEY INHABIT 12 STATES :mad: AND CANADA. BESIDES BUSSENESS COSTS IF HEAVY COUNTS EXIST,THEY CAN ALTER THE LAKES ECOSYSTEM BY DEFEATING AQUADIC RESTORATION. THEY SEEM TO CUT LIGHT OFF TO SHALLOW BOTTOMS BUT LET WEEDS GROW DEEP. I FISHED THE BRIDGE AT BERLIN AND NOTICED THEY ONLY GROW ON SANDY ROCKS UNDER THE BRIDGE. WEST BRANCH THERE ALL OVER!
    THANKS JIG :)

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

They claim to be of no food value to any species. BUT........if you catch carp in zebra infested waters.....they are loaded to the hilt with zebras ;) They do feed on them.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Hey Shawn, maybe your on to something. A zebra mussle flavored carp bait! This might be your ticket to your first Million. ;)

4. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

dale..its already been made..even have crush shells in them too.. yummy.. lol