close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Zebra Mussels in P-Hill?!?!

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ashtonmj, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Having dinner with the grandparents tonight and talking about the boats and docks just coming out this past week...and they mentioned that their docks, and have heard from other clubs, had zebra mussels on them. Anyone else with any word on this? Family has had a boat there at least 10 years and renting 10 before that and I can NEVER remeber seeing a zebra mussel. Need to show them some pictures and confirm it for sure but in some ways I am not/would not be surprised. Such a high recreational use lake and my guess would be ALOT of people not draining, washing, etc before bringing boats down from L. Erie or another infested water.

2. That's where they came from-no doubt. Despite alll the precautions, they will likely be in all of our lakes soon (at least the ones with boat traffic). Supposedly the Zebra Mussel/larvae can only live for 2-3 days in residual water (water not fully draining from bilge, outboard engines, livewell lines, etc.) Unfortunately, some people who Zeb fish infested waters don't take precautions to fully drain these aquatic nuciance carrying places or launch their boat within the time frame that these critters can survive.

Tim

3. Well the MWCD response to a call was "we can't do anything about it". Thats all I am really gunna say about that...
    So lets see...don't put up a warning sign that zebra mussels do exist in the lake and what preventitive measures should be taken...someone puts in to go fishing...takes out and a couple days later goes to a non-infested lake....drains water or didnt hose down their boat prior...and oh look what igrnorance will cause...more zebra mussel infested lakes :mad: :mad: :mad: !!!!!!!!!!

4. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

The good thing about it if there is one, they can't survive in muddy water inviorments. They need a hard rocky bottom. I know what your saying but there isn't much sense in posting a warning . People were warned when they came to Erie and they have spread to Alum, Griggs and many other hard bottom reserviors. Supposably the lava can survive on the carpet on your trailer bunks. Some where found 4 or 5 years ago on the bottom of a boat after it was pulled out of Indian Lake for winter. The boat had been docked on Erie earlier in the year and thats were they came from. No other mussels have been found there since and probably won't be because of the shallow muddy water. Just my 2 cents.