Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Plant Window Automotive mirror Sunlight Grass

We took it easy this morning at camp and watched it rain. We drove home around noon. Junior wanted to hunt again and look for a buck, so we went back out this afternoon and hunted out of a ground blind that I put up on an 8’ elevated platform. We had an 8 pointer and 2 does come into my rye/turnip food plot to our south. The 8 pointer would not stop pushing the does around. He finally settled down and started eating. By the time he got to full broadside I ranged him at 130 yards. Junior was locked in pretty good on him but we held off hoping that he would give us a closer shot. It never happened. We ending up seeing 6 deer and had a good time. We had a really enjoyable 2 days together. I don’t want to go back to the real world tomorrow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Plant Plant community Tree People in nature Sky
Saturday morning Cooper and I were in the same stand he killed his first deer in 4 years ago. He passed up a doe at 7:30 and after she wandered off he started regretting his decision. Around 8 O'clock a group of doe's and fawns came through and he decided that all the passing of deer his dad and older brother have been doing wasn't for him. He pulled the rifle up and found a doe quartering away and took the shot at around 50 yards. We found her without too much trouble. The rifle Cooper was using was a Marlin in 1894 .44magnum loaded with hardcast 315 grain bullets with 19 grains of H110. The bullet hit the doe at the last rib through the liver and offside lung/shoulder. she went maybe 50 yards.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hunting Plant People in nature Tree Wood

My oldest decided to "one up" his little brother today. Did our 2:00a.m. milking and headed to Carroll county. If 10% of the shots we heard this morning connected, then Carroll county should be running out of deer. Sounded like WWIII. I was getting a little anxious when five smaller bucks passed by me headed his direction. About twenty minutes later, 9:15ish, I heard his .357 max bark. Not one of the deer that passed by me but one that came from another direction. As my phone was vibrating with him telling of his good fortune, a doe trotted up to about 20 yards from me. Milled around a while, then trotted off. As soon as I tried to head his direction, a spike buck came in close also. A great day with much action. His personal best deer, to date. About a 70 yard shot with open sights.
Brown Natural landscape Wood Trunk Sky

Here's the doe after she put some space between us.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts