Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant community People in nature Wood Logging Trunk

My youngest had a successful morning. We got up at 2:00a.m. to get the milking done then headed to Carroll county and got in our spot while it was still dark. I have to admit, I may have been resting my eyes when I heard his 357 max bark. He confidentiality told me, "I got him." It was 7:45. We waited for a half hour and found blood. Bright blood spraying from both sides of the deer. An easy trail. Probably made it 50 yards around the hill. Good lung shot and only had to drag it 50ft straight down the hill to the road. Back home and farmin'before noon. A good day.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Congrats young man I had my 12 yr old out we only seen 1 deer in our all day sit it was I believe this yrs fawn which was a tiny button buck he hung around a 1/2 hr or so eating corn kept asking him if he was gonna shoot he no its to little and no horns he has killed 2 8 pointers in the past so he's looking for horns lol

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great deer and love the look of that rifle and bet it is a tack driver ! Well at least a deer killer :) !
Thanks for noticing. I was on a quest to find someone to make a 350 legend for one of my many H and R's. Found a gunsmith in Oklahoma who loves to customize them. Mentioned I had one in 357 mag. He suggested we ream it to 357 max which I let him do. My brother in law worked us up some great hand loads and my oldest cleanly harvested a deer with it. Now the youngest wanted one. A friend gave me an old 30/30 barrel he had found in his house when he moved in. It fit my .204 frame nicely so I sent the frame and barrel to Oklahoma. He used the barrel to make a stub and threaded it for a stainless.357 max barrel. He customized and glass bedded a forend for it and did a trigger job. I am amazed what that little rifle can do. This is his third deer in as many years with the first being a last minute, last day shot of 169 yards. Every shot has passed through each deer with clean heart or lung shots each time. I can't ask for any better than that.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Sky Hunting Deer hunting Smile Cloud

We hunted at home in the morning and saw a young buck cruising but we never had a good shot. We went back out in the afternoon to a friends farm and had deer moving the entire time. We passed multiple small and medium does waiting for a fully mature doe. We had several deer within 4 yards of the blind. About an hour before dark we had a mature doe broadside at about 50 yards. Junior settled his .350 on her heart and squeezed one of. She did a 50 yard death run before crashing. The.350 did a nice job again. Another great day in the outdoors with my side kick.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 479151
We hunted at home in the morning and saw a young buck cruising but we never had a good shot. We went back out in the afternoon to a friends farm and had deer moving the entire time. We passed multiple small and medium does waiting for a fully mature doe. We had several deer within 4 yards of the blind. About an hour before dark we had a mature doe broadside at about 50 yards. Junior settled his .350 on her heart and squeezed one of. She did a 50 yard death run before crashing. The.350 did a nice job again. Another great day in the outdoors with my side kick.
That's awesome! Great shot placement! I can't say I've ever been as cool as these kids are in the heat of the moment. Great job!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
View attachment 479151
Congrats on a”Moose “of a deer…

1 - 20 of 29 Posts