Ohio Game Fishing banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Down here we have only a couple youth my 14 yr old and buddy’s 6 year old. We think about youth season beginning first of November always keeping eye on our spots bow hunting. We have blinds and a double ladder and we make sure they are set up in what we think is our prime spots. We try like heck to get them on our best deer.

so far my son has only seen two bucks and neither presented a good shot. However buddy and boy scored yesterday on his first deer and he is still strutting around. His entire family and the neighbors came out to see him and his buck. It’s been an awesome weekend.

me and my boy are headed to the blind now fir a last sit in this light rain. Youth season and the apprentice youth license is the best thing ODNR has done lately in our opinion. Good luck youths!
Chainsaw Helmet Hunting Plant Tree

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Down here we have only a couple youth my 14 yr old and buddy’s 6 year old. We think about youth season beginning first of November always keeping eye on our spots bow hunting. We have blinds and a double ladder and we make sure they are set up in what we think is our prime spots. We try like heck to get them on our best deer.

so far my son has only seen two bucks and neither presented a good shot. However buddy and boy scored yesterday on his first deer and he is still strutting around. His entire family and the neighbors came out to see him and his buck. It’s been an awesome weekend.

me and my boy are headed to the blind now fir a last sit in this light rain. Youth season and the apprentice youth license is the best thing ODNR has done lately in our opinion. Good luck youths! View attachment 479166
He'll never forget this day.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My son spent years learning by watching and helping on past hunts. He completed his hunter safety course last year, but never had a chance to shoot during bow or gun seasons.

This year, he was back out there scouting, and helping get the property ready. He paid for his license and his tag this year since he’s old enough to have a job.

I was able to sit in the back of the blind this morning and video him picking out the buck he wanted, and then ethically harvesting it with a double lung shot at 75 yards. Deer expired 26 seconds after the shot, and made it 60 yards when we got to see him go down.

Even without the video - it’s a moment I will always remember. View attachment 479167

·
'Super Moderator'
13,339 Posts
just a salty ole man! there's always a Karen out there to ruin or try and ruin something. Let the kids be I'd rather have them in the woods then on the streets!.
Lets not let this thread that the OP meant for showcasing a very good thing, get overshadowed and sidetracked by the negativity of one.
Again...please keep thread on topic as the OP intended.

Sure wish the kids would have had better weather Sunday to hunt.
Had to work and for sure...the cold wind/rain around these parts had the deer hunkered down for the most part all day long. Between two parks that it's not uncommon to see 20-30 deer per day...only saw one small 6 pointer. And I believe two hikers kicked him out of a thicket.

Congratulations to all the kids that were able to get out this past weekend.
Congratulations and Thank You to all the dads/mentors that were able to get the kids out and teach them a bit about hunting and the outdoors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son and I are going. Hunting at home in the morning and then heading out to a friends farm and cabin for the rest of the weekend. I can’t wait, we’ve been looking forward to this for months.
Good luck, I went with some youngsters who are now adults. It was ALWAYS the best experience of the season for me. Handicapped now, wish I could do it again. Don't take away a wonderful experience for both dad and som, just do it right and be safe!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
No deer for my son for youth gun weekend...not much moving Saturday evening when we went back out...decided to just go out Sunday afternoon and more of the same...still...had a good time and enjoyed the time together regardless.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

61 - 72 of 72 Posts