Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Hunting/ harvesting isn't for everyone, and I would never force it on anybody, had 2 girls and they showed no interest( I begged my dad to go , and finally was allowed(late teenager), rabbit &pheasant., he hunted with friends that had dogs & never wanted to infringe on the safety on the pups)..... happy day when the granddaughter did, but that didn't last long..... you parents with young willing are truly lucky, but never push to hard

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Wow...that went all kinds of sideways. Usually someone posts up a reminder about this and I hadn't seen anything, so I did it. Certainly wasn't expecting that.

Anyways...got home from a flight from Dallas an hour or so ago...still trying to wind down...probably won't get any sleep. Doesn't matter...son has the truck and everything else all packed and ready to go.

Thanks all for best wishes and good luck to all the other young hunters this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Wow...that went all kinds of sideways. Usually someone posts up a reminder about this and I hadn't seen anything, so I did it. Certainly wasn't expecting that.

Anyways...got home from a flight from Dallas an hour or so ago...still trying to wind down...probably won't get any sleep. Doesn't matter...son has the truck and everything else all packed and ready to go.

Thanks all for best wishes and good luck to all the other young hunters this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Enjoy yourselves today and each other…whether you’re successful or not there’s nothing better than sharing the experience with your kid…you are going to make a lot of memories together…just stay safe and post some pics….I use to tell my son that if he didn’t get anything that there’s always McDonalds …I really miss them days…Stay safe

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Back in the day deer hunting wasn’t what it is today. There wasn’t numbers of deer like there is now.
I learned to read by taking my grandpas old outdoor life mags and memorizing them. At 9 I was an extra dog on pheasant and rabbit hunts. At 11 I proved myself and was able to carry a gun and hunt with our family.
kids don’t have the opportunity to hunt small game like they did in the past. Youth season is almost a necessity because deer and turkey have replaced pheasant- rabbits and grouse.
GOOD LICK TO ALL THE KIDS GOING OUT TODAY and thanks to all the mentors that are taking them!

·
Registered
251 Posts
And I forgot to mention the numbers. The first youth season ODNR boasted they sold 15,000+ licenses and the youth killed 7500 deer, a 50 % kill rate and the same year they sold 400,000+ adult licenses with 130,000 deer killed, a 26% kill rate. I watched these numbers for a couple of years and the youth kill rate stayed around 50%. So the youth are better hunters than the adults ???? No its the parents killing the deer, Ok maybe not pulling the trigger but setting up the stand/bling , scouting, doing everything they did every year and the kid with a gun or bow on a tripod just pulled the trigger. I know of couple cases where parent actually shot the deer and the kid watched.
Its a scam so the parents can get a jump on the season, beat the general public during the end of the rut and get an early deer. Its unfair to the other 400,000 hunters.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
And I forgot to mention the numbers. The first youth season ODNR boasted they sold 15,000+ licenses and the youth killed 7500 deer, a 50 % kill rate and the same year they sold 400,000+ adult licenses with 130,000 deer killed, a 26% kill rate. I watched these numbers for a couple of years and the youth kill rate stayed around 50%. So the youth are better hunters than the adults ???? No its the parents killing the deer, Ok maybe not pulling the trigger but setting up the stand/bling , scouting, doing everything they did every year and the kid with a gun or bow on a tripod just pulled the trigger. I know of couple cases where parent actually shot the deer and the kid watched.
Its a scam so the parents can get a jump on the season, beat the general public during the end of the rut and get an early deer. Its unfair to the other 400,000 hunters.
Now the truth comes out. You are just butt hurt that the kids are out before you are with a gun. Kinda selfish. As an adult you should be all for the youth getting a chance at a memory of a life time. Every parent isn’t out in the woods poaching as you assume. Damn man.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Sounds like some great parents to me.

Salty old bastard

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sounds like a lot of jealousy to me but so be it and as far getting a deer i am glad they did as i never had anyone mentor or help me and am glad to pass on what i didnt have !

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow! I always looked forward to the youth deer hunt with my son. Took him for 8 years. It was the most fun deer hunting I have had. You are completely missing the whole point of youth season. It's not about killing a deer. That's a bonus. It's about spending time with your son or daughter. He's is and has been my hunting and fishing partner ever since. He is now 25 and out bow hunting right now .

·
Registered
893 Posts
Personally I think the youth should have more than one weekend a year to hunt. It is our future. I take so many youths out every year. Trying to get them into something to occupy their time. If they hunt all winter and fish all summer. That doesn't leave much time for getting into trouble. Add dirt bikes and ATVs into the mix. Them kids are busy non stop. This year I got COVID a week ago and it just breaks my heart I can't take anyone out. Currently sitting with my 16 year old son. He's a great hunter. He can do it all himself. Gut drag and even butcher the whole thing. Been this way for a while. He was actually mad about not taking some other kids out also. Have an 9 and 10 year old boys down the street we been taking out all bow season. I actually gave them my best spots for the season just to try and get them on deer. They didn't get a shot yet but they are hooked for life already. And yes we have them sitting in ladderstands with crossbows for a clean ethical shot. If that's not hunting to you just move along. It's a great way to get youths involved. Anything to get them outdoors. That's why I think they should get more than one weekend a year. I did see they did two weekends for the youth pheasant releases. That was cool.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You had to be 16 to hunt deer in Ohio years ago. I did draw a Mosquito youth hunt and took a friends 15 year old son and got a nice 7 point. He still shoots today but never got the hunting bug, his mother had no interest in cooking venison, he had a good time, I mounted the rack for him and he still has it displayed but was not interested in going again.
I do not know what youth kill rate is today as ODNR does not seen to release any numbers maybe they are not as good as when it started.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Sounds like you should have used some of that negative energy by taking a kid out hunting today !! You both could be happy !!
Would you REALLY want a self centered troll like him to mentor our youth of today on anything!!???...he's crying about 7500 deer harvested out of the herd that took an additional 130,000 afterwards and probably by some youth that didn't do the youth hunt earlier...you can use percentages to show what ever you want but the numbers are the REAL representative of FACTS...And the mentoring is a PROVEN system of preparing our youth for the OUTDOORS...take your baseball and bat and go home ...no one wants to play with you...Sorry Stacy I couldn't take it anymore...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Those stats were in the paper when youth season started, they bragged about how well it did and continued to do so for a couple of years. When I heard locally about mentors doing the shooting and read the stats it all added up to a scam. Sure its great taking your kids hunting and having a good time, but you are a small part of the whole and 6 year olds don't have a kill rate of 50%. And I see pics of little girls with their deer and crossbow and I say BS.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
So you endorse the girl wounding a deer for hours, bad shooting, surely not ethical hunting. And yes some kids shoot well and do a good job. When I started we were not allowed to hunt deer to age 16. If these kids are so good then they do not need there own weekend, just let them hunt in the regular season.
Do you think kids are the only ones who could wound a deer? I guarantee there are plenty of adults out there that have wounded plenty of deer. I personally know of a guy who used to wound 2-4 every year because of bad shots and just not really caring, he could shoot his bow better than me. Guess what, he didn’t start hunting till his early 20’s because he didn’t have anyone to take him out when he was a kid. So hunting ethics weren’t taught to him at a young age, actually they were never taught to him because he was able to hunt on his own from day one.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts