Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Tomorrow and Sunday...youth get their two days with gun...don't forget the hunter orange requirements...last year for my son as a youth...got my fingers crossed he'll get a nice one in front of him.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Good luck to your son and to any other youth that goes this weekend. A couple more years and mine will be joining in!

Have fun and be safe

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just a head start for the parent to get a deer. I have seen some of these kids who got deer and they really could care less but the dad was the one excited. Just like the girl who shot buck a few years ago, tracked it and shot it again, still no kill but her dad went out later and finished the job as she was tired and lost interest. These kids can't even hold up the heavy gun. Somebody gonna get hurt. Just like the 6 year old with the crossbow killing a 10 point, can't even cock the bow, can't hold the bow, can gut the animal, can't drag it out. Get rid of this child hunting.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Just a head start for the parent to get a deer. I have seen some of these kids who got deer and they really could care less but the dad was the one excited. Just like the girl who shot buck a few years ago, tracked it and shot it again, still no kill but her dad went out later and finished the job as she was tired and lost interest. These kids can't even hold up the heavy gun. Somebody gonna get hurt. Just like the 6 year old with the crossbow killing a 10 point, can't even cock the bow, can't hold the bow, can gut the animal, can't drag it out. Get rid of this child hunting.
While I agree with you on some points I disagree as well

Certain ages or if the youth can't properly shoot the gun themselves....they need more time.

On the other hand.....with the age cut off of 17. That leaves some ages for plenty of youth to ethically hunt.

I know I shot my first deer at 13 with only me controlling the shot. Gutted the doe myself....under the supervision of my dad.

Of course some parents are taking advantage....but plenty of others are setting the foundation for lifetime outdoorsmen. Like what happened to myself.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts
Wow guess i should tell this to the 12 year old i took last Sunday to Mosquito creek for a Youth Hunt that i am cancelling his first trip to Pennsylvania because if he shoots as well as he did at Mosquito he wont be able to drag his own deer out and i guess i am guilty for gutting and dragging the misses deer out also NOT GONNA HAPPEN !
Hunting Snow Tree Carnivore Plant
Deer hunting Plant Hat Deer Smile

·
Carp53.65
4,252 Posts
My son is 14 and tomorrow will be his first deer hunt. If he gets one I will post a thread on here. Think most on here will be impressed on how he does it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Wow guess i should tell this to the 12 year old i took last Sunday to Mosquito creek for a Youth Hunt that i am cancelling his first trip to Pennsylvania because if he shoots as well as he did at Mosquito he wont be able to drag his own deer out and i guess i am guilty for gutting and dragging the misses deer out also NOT GONNA HAPPEN ! View attachment 479089 View attachment 479090
Very nice. It’s amazing how well kids can shoot at a young age with instruction and practice. My 8 year old son outshoots me about 50% of the time now. The only thing that I can figure out is that they have better eyesight at that age maybe?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Dick.

Get rid of child hunting? You sound awfully salty. Nothing better than getting a kid involved in the outdoors. Sounds like a youngn' shot one of "YOUR" deer during youth season or during bow season with a crossbow. People like you are why many deer hunters are so secretive about sharing info about spots. If we don't start our kids young, odds are they will never hunt. Honestly the woods would be a much better place without someone like you in them

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
This is probably THE dumbest post I’ve ever seen on here and we’ve definitely had some dandies.

·
'Super Moderator'
13,339 Posts
This is probably THE dumbest post I’ve ever seen on here and we’ve definitely had some dandies.
Agree with you on both counts Morrowtucky Mike.

Good luck this weekend to all those kids fortunate enough to have someone that takes the time to take them out and teach them something besides sitting in front of the TV or playing a game on the play station.

·
Registered
24 Posts
While I have seen this happen on very rare occasions,I couldn't imagine coming across as so self centered by thinking some youth may harvest my target buck, that I would want to take away the enjoyment from them.Obviously you have never had the opportunity to see a kids face when they harvest their first or possibly biggest deer to date.I can tell you from multiple experiences,that it is priceless.My son harvested his first deer just shortly after he turned 7,and it was a hunt/bonding that both him and I will never forget.I would much rather see a youth in the field vs running the streets.The old saying goes "Take your child hunting and you won't have to hunt for your child".In closing,the youth is the very future/foundation of our sport and we are much richer for what we give away than what we take.Some people go through an entire life not finding this great joy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
So you endorse the girl wounding a deer for hours, bad shooting, surely not ethical hunting. And yes some kids shoot well and do a good job. When I started we were not allowed to hunt deer to age 16. If these kids are so good then they do not need there own weekend, just let them hunt in the regular season.

·
'Super Moderator'
13,339 Posts
JSMH!!!
So just cause you weren't allowed to hunt till the age of 16...you think that ought to be law for all?
And who deemed you ready at 16?
Or was that just the magic age that whoever let you start hunting then thought all kids were ready to hunt at?
I've seen 16 yr olds...hell...26yr olds that should have never be around a weapon. Let alone been let to have pointed a weapon at a live animal.
And have seen 9-10yr olds that were a true pleasure to hunt with.
Sure am glad the true outdoorsmen here know the real meaning and value of teaching our youth about hunting.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
So you endorse the girl wounding a deer for hours, bad shooting, surely not ethical hunting. And yes some kids shoot well and do a good job. When I started we were not allowed to hunt deer to age 16. If these kids are so good then they do not need there own weekend, just let them hunt in the regular season.
No one is endorsing someone just taking bad shots at animals. The fact that it was said to get rid of child hunting is just plain asinine and about the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. I killed my first deer at 9. My son killed his first gobble at 8 and first deer at 9 and has killed a handful of each since then. If I would have waited till I was 16 I probably wouldn't be as passionate about it as I am now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unfortunately we live in a society much different than when most of us grew up.If we don't involve and introduce kids to the outdoors at an early age,then most of them by the time they turn 16 will have no interest due to the pull of social media,games,peer pressure ect.Not endorsing bad shots on any animal.As the adult,I would never take someone out who was not proficient in their ability to make a clean harvest.I believe we owe that respect to the animal we pursue.I assume you have never made a less than desirable shot on any animal that you were after?

·
Carp53.65
4,252 Posts
It’s a miracle that I even go deer hunting. As a kid growing up in Geauga county if I were to go gun hunting I had to compete with the Amish during regular deer gun season. Nobody in my family hunted except for my Grandfather in Pennsylvania. I could not get off school to hunt with him in PA. I had to hunt after school and was pretty much self taught on how to hunt deer. If this opportunity was available when I was a kid I know for a fact that Grandpa would have made the trip to show what I needed to do to help speed up the learning curve. The whole point of the youth season is to introduce new hunters to the sport so it does not die off. 30 years ago information was not readily available like it is now. It was about how bad do you want to learn to put yourself in a successful situation. I had to scrounge for and type of paper or article about deer hunting and study. Most articles for the most part were worthless. If you can get two sentences of solid information from one it it a good article back then. It was all about piecing information together to put you on the right path. In today’s world where all the information is right at your fingertips that is what I am jealous of. Not an opportunity for kids to enter our sport because they now have something that I didn’t have entering this sport.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts