close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Your fishing patterns...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iron_Chef_CD, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Iron_Chef_CD

Iron_Chef_CD Allez Cuisine

Question

Since I've been fishing a lot of public places this year, used to mainly fish farm ponds, I've noticed two types of fishing going on. Those that stay in a small area and fish a lot of different lures or techiques and those that limit the lures they use and keep moving.

Based on my observations it seems like more people tend to say walk all over a pond or river with just a few lures, a lot of times just one as opposed to sticking to one area and trying different tackle until one hits.

I've had success with both but I'd like to know which one you guys think produces more?

2. Banker

Banker Banned

I think I tend to fish the same lure(s) too much and would catch more fish if I switched to difn't lures more often(too lazy to change lures) as well as experimented with lures I don't "think" will catch as many fish. My reasoning goes like this. Well its been 45 minutes, surely the laws of probability are gonna catch up with me. Doesn't work for me in vegas either......

to answer your ?, I tend to cover more ground using the same 2-4 lures (or 1)

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Your fishing patterns.....mine are simple, catch fish!

LOL...if its a "big fish" spot or area, i'll stay and throw all i have a work the area hard.....if its just a normal stretch, i have my few go to lures and i cover distance and catch the active fish.

Scott

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Try different techniques. It's real easy to use what's worked before and not try something that maybe didn't work or hasn't been tried. I'm all the time seeing people catch fish when I don't think it will work because I'm using tried & true methods. next thing I see, they are catching fish and I'm :S

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i try to cover as much water as i can with a few lures that i know will work. no sense in beating one spot to death imo.

sometimes its hard for me to try a new lure when that "good old" lure is sittin pretty in the box just waitin to hook up. :) but i force myself to try new things....hooking up using something new and different (to me) is pretty darn satisfying.

6. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Like Jim said it is easy to repeat successful techniques.
    But careful consideration and observation can lead to changes or new techniques that are better.

An example might be some bassmasters I observed a few years back. 7 year locusts were hatching and these 2 guys in a bassboat proclaimed that Pop Rs were a magic bait.

It was true that most fish in the lakes lined up on the windy side near trees and waited for locusts to hit the water. Topwater baits caught lots of fish.

But this pattern will not repaeat with such success for another 7 years :D

These boyz discovered the pattern without understanding why it worked.

Fishermen who are unwilling to adopt new methods will not evolve to better ways to catch fish. An example would be someone fishing with a stick, sinew, and bone hook. He might catch a few fish but not as many as modern fishermen.