close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Your favorite fish of 2017...

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fallen513, Nov 17, 2017.

1. fallen513

fallen513 M.saxatilis x M.chrysops

Pretty self explanatory. It will take me a while to figure mine out. It's never about size, weight or being the best. It's always about what makes you tick. That is why we do it.

Let's see what makes you tick.

2. Fisherman 3234

Fisherman 3234 Member

[​IMG]
    46" Flathead Catfish. This was by far the hardest fighting fish I have ever hooked up with. I was very very very lucky to land it. Almost didn't bring my catfish stuff too, was mostly fishing for Bass.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017

3. Might not look like much, but it was the first fish of the morning on a day I called in sick to take advantage of safe ice (far too rare here in SW Ohio). Nothing can make this old geezer feel more like a child than catching gills and playing hookie from work to spend a day on the ice.

[​IMG]

4. It was a great day on my new to me boat I got this year. My old 12' boat I wasn't able to take my whole family out in. I got a 16' starcraft super sport. My little girl broke her arm and was worried she couldn't fish. She ended up catching the biggest fish of the day.

Lazy 8, HOUSE, fallen513 and 10 others like this.
  5. 3 dog Ed

3 dog Ed creek stalker

IMG_0828.JPG Here is my buddy Dave with a big 5 pounder. He hadn't fished in a few years and was just getting back into it. Of course I took him and my dad to a local pond I fish and he hit the jackpot. I've been fishing this pond for 20 years and never got anything over 4#. He fell in while wading into the catails to land this beast. It was a good time.

6. Cat Mangler

Cat Mangler Pirateer

Caught some nice fish this year, but this one's at the top. 21#[​IMG]

chris1162, HOUSE, fallen513 and 3 others like this.
  7. I don't have a picture of my favorite fish from this year because I never landed her. Just one of those cool, crisp beautiful mornings when chaos erupts, you have a giant muskie on, potentially your PB, headshaking right next to the boat, you let out a few few remarks in astonishment, and she just comes unbuttoned, leaving you staring off in amazement, awe, frustration, at the calm lake again, like you just weren't in the most epic battle of your life.
    Had to take 5-10 minutes off after that one but that's my favorite fish from this year. Gives me that drive to get out there every chance I can.

8. 9Left

9Left

No words needed.... 17.5"
    IMG_4103.JPG

9. Fisherman 3234

Fisherman 3234 Member

That is one heck of a Crappie...awesome!!!

9Left likes this.
  10. Fished Grand Traverse Bay in Michigan fished from my Hobie many bass like this one.

11. kayak1979

kayak1979 Banned

My first muskie and from my kayak. 42" at Pymatuning. C0046-14-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

12. Great muskie can only imagine the fight landing her from your kayak.

kayak1979 likes this.
  13. My favorite fish for 2017 is no doubt the Smallmouth Bass. Never hooked into a hog but caught well over 100 in 5 different rivers and a couple in Sandusky Bay. I had never done any river fishing and never targeted smallies specifically. Had the best time this year and only makes me want to go more.

HOUSE, 9Left, fallen513 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Saugeye Tom

Saugeye Tom River Pilgrim & Sojourner

Mine and my grandsons 20170523_180011.jpg 20170621_223522.jpg 20170621_222135.jpg

Bleeding Minnow, HOUSE, 9Left and 7 others like this.
  15. 20170505_200136.jpg
    Might not look like much but this was after a 2 day cold front had just blown through and we were fishing in float tubes....crappies,gills and walleyes all in the same day.

16. Daniel Big Mahi.jpeg Daniel Mahi.jpeg Henrys Mahis.jpg
    Mahi Mahis off shore out of marathon key. We stayed down there for a week last July. Trolling for mahi mahi in the gulf stream is the most fun fishing I have ever done in my life, I can't wait to do it again.

17. RiparianRanger

RiparianRanger Bronze > Gold

Since the "fish" can be both singular and plural I'll offer two:

The first image shows what was my first-ever winter smallmouth caught over 11 months ago in the middle of January. To experience that "tap" on the line after a dearth of smallie action that spanned months was a memorable experience. All the better when the haul revealed a healthy 16.75" 2lb. specimen on the line. For years I used to hang up the tackle after October. After gleaning information from members of these forums I attempted to extend smallmouth season last year. I don't claim to have them figured out just yet but with winter fast approaching I'll have another shot at experimentation.

The second image is another first - a Fish Ohio qualifying smallmouth. I've collected FO pins on other species through the years but never a smallmouth. Naturally the experience was diminished somewhat given that the threshold was lowered from 20" to 18" for 2017. Regardless, the skinny water this one was caught doesn't offer up many of this size making it a memorable encounter too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  18. Flannel_Carp

Flannel_Carp The Flan With A Plan

Definitely this pair of smallies that smashed a KVD Splash at the same time this Fall.

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1511400121.860109.jpg

19. Both of mine are Smallies one being my biggest river smallie and the other for taking my rod and reel into the river and then snagging my rod 6hrs later with the smallie still on the line IMG_6759 (2).JPG IMG_9138 (2).JPG