Your Favorite Christmas Ale/ Winter Ale

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ruminator, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

What are your favorites available for a short time yet?

I like a more spicy flavor, and haven't yet found a real good one this winter.

Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Sam Adams Winter Lager are good, but lack the amount of spices I'm looking for.

2. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

I love the Great Lakes Christmas Ale. It is probably my favorite.

I enjoy the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. It isn't really spicy, but it is nice and hoppy and has a bit of spice.

I brewed a Christmas Style Ale back in September, which I have dubbed my Pagan Holiday Ale. It turned out great. One of my best beers yet. Nice amounts of ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and lots of hoppy goodness. Its good and strong too for the cold winter nights.

something new that I brewed for this winter is a traditional German apfelwein, or applewine. It is basically fermented apple juice. It tastes like a cross between hard cider and wine, with lots of apple flavor. Throw in a cinnamon stick and its pretty good. Add some spiced rum and it is damn good, and quite intoxicating.

I had a really spicy xmas ale last year I didn't care for too much because of all the spices. I can't recall what it was off the top of my head, but when it comes to me, I'll post in this thread, Ruminator.

3. we have great lakes xmas ale on tap at the pub i work at.our draft system is certified by guiness. so it taste awesome. i like sammie smith winter welcome my self. anything from bell's brewery is my fave.

4. Rednek

Rednek "The Widow's Son"

An OPEN one......

5. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

Life is too short to drink bad beer.

[​IMG]

Wychwood Bah Humbug! Christmas Ale, middle left. Very aromatic and smooth, but lacks spices. Wychwood Angry Elf Chrismas Ale is better than its cousin. They also make two other kinds of xmas ale that I have yet to check out.

I think that xmas ales are like fishing line brands. Everyone has a preference and when you find it you usually stick to it. I know people who like xmas ales, but dont like great lakes. But it makes me wonder if Great lakes puts crack in theirs, becuase it has to be my go-to xmas ale

6. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

Michelob light - winter, spring summer or fall :) .

7. peon

peon account delete

i have been drinking Budweiser American ale and i really like it!

8. wader

wader Fishing Fool

Gotta go with Great Lakes xmas ale. Love the GL beers, Eddy Fitz is probably my overall favorite. Tremont Brewery from Boston has a tremendous Winter Ale if you can find it.

9. I agree the Great Lakes and Sam Adams Winter Lagers are both good. I used to like Pete's Wicked Winter Brew, but it's been a couple of years since I've had one. I remember it as being a bit spicier and has a berry/ hopps flavor.

Tim

10. Symba, you nailed it!!! Great selections. I especially like the Taddy Porter (dark and rich, with a bit of a bite).

11. Bud Light or Miller Lite

12. Gotta go with Busch for sure

13. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Gotta go with something from Anker. For those in Columbus you can pick some up in limited quantities at Palmer on Indianola.

http://www.hetanker.be/

14. There is a place at Easton called Bar Louie and last year they had a great Christmas ale but I cant remember what is was now but it had a hint of clove and cranberry and was really good.

Try some Sam Adams white ale this spring, its one of the best I've had. Its a wheat ale and is spice with 15 or so spices including anise.

15. Great lakes christmas ale.:)

16. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale and strangley enough its made by A&B. It's got a snowman on the front and if you shop at any large chains, like Kroger, they probably carry it. Worth checking out in my opinion.

17. winterhook winter ale from redhook ale brewery in washinton state, also I enjoy cold and free from somebody elses fridge.

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

redhook is off the hook:)
    haven't had any of that since the early 80's in seattle when they were just getting started.great stuff.
    but this year i'll have to settle for what i have in the fridge right now.............................:D

[​IMG]

19. i have to go with x-mas ale!! Good beer!$

20. A good brew for the season!

Attached Files: