Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Just curious to know what your favorite lake for bass is?

If I could only pick one inland lake it would be Mosquito. If Erie/Presque Isle Bay was a choice I'd rate that tops within a couple hours drive. Nothing really compares to Lake Erie and its bays for trophy lgmouth and smallmouth with the exception of of lgmouth on a few of the smaller lakes (ladoe).

·
Administrator
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,584 Posts
Outta state? Dale Hollow
In state? OShaughnessy or Knox

Only reason I didn't pick Erie, is that I don't get to fish it much!

·
Livin' the moontime
846 Posts
Gotta be Piedmont for me. Not too many lakes where you can find green and bronzebacks in the same inland lake. Most of my Fish Ohio smallies have come from Piedmont.
EH

·
BASS BUM
269 Posts
I agree with Shakedown , Knox & O'shaughnessy, 5-7 years ago I would say Delaware was hot for me , In April, May & June I like the size of smallmouth in Alum

·
Buckeye-Basser
1,590 Posts
I agree with RodMan about the Ohio River, but chosing a lake would have to be Nimisila #1, Long #2, and Portage #3. My all time favorite is Lake Wylie on the South and North Carolina borders.

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,357 Posts
For local lakes for bass- I'd say O'Shaugnessy. Griggs also is pretty good.
Knox lake a close second.
Out of state- Chataqua New York.
Way out of the state- McGreager Bay, Ontario Canada, right off the Dock out my front door! :D

·
Registered
670 Posts
Fished most of the lakes in SW, Central and NE Ohio. Mogadore is the best I've seen for LMs in Ohio. O'shay was good, Knox was good, Mogadore is better than either from my experience. Ladue sounds like it is up there with Mogadore but I've not been able to fish it. According to the DNR "The top “Fish Ohio” lake for largemouth bass was Mogadore Reservoir, with Portage Lakes, LaDue Reservoir, Clear Fork Reservoir, Mosquito Lake, and Lake Erie noting catches of that species." You can find the whole article from the OhioDNR at http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/News/fishohio04.htm.
Lake Erie is in a class of it's own for smallies.
Out of state, my favorite bass lake would be either Lake George/St. John's River in Florida or Lake Marion in SC (my personal best bass came from Marion;)).

·
Registered
670 Posts
sirevans2001 said:
just moved lancaster area ..lookin for small lakes close for bass and pan fish any help?
Oakthorpe Lake ;) It's not too far from you, I don't think. It's near the town of Oakthorpe which is NE of Lancaster. Small lake, under 100 acres, electric motor only, very good LM bass. There are redear in there too. Also, if you didn't know, the Hocking River is a great smallie stream especially a bit further south from you in Hocking and Athens counties.

Steve

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
I only have limited scope on the lakes in ohio, as I have only been on the SW ones, but lately Acton Lake has been the best for me. I always catch a good amount of bass and some size to them too.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I've caught my biggest bass at LaDue. Nice lake. I fish Portage, Long, Nimisila for them too, with Nimisila being my favorite out of them.

I better brush up on Long, I have a club tourney there in a couple weeks. LOL

Carl

1 - 20 of 39 Posts