close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

your chili recipes???

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by BottomBouncer, May 16, 2005.

1. I've been perfecting mine here lately and I'm looking for some more ideas for things to add or not to add.

I use two cans of each: tomato sauce and petite diced tomatoes(ran through grinder). 4 finely chopped or through the grinder jalapenos, half a large onion chopped fine, couple cloves of garlic(fine), chili powder.....till it's spicy enough, few dashes of salt and pepper, cumin....couple dashes of that and paprika, spicy chili beans, 1/2lb. sausage and 1/2 pound of lean ground beef.

2. 2 pounds of meat, 2 jars tomatoes and 2 cans of beans then spice it from there, if you want a bigger or smaller batch just keep the ratio the same. For the meat I have used hamburger or chunks of beef, ground turkey, sausage, deer, or any combo of meats but I like spicy sausage and deer combo the best. I almost always use home canned tomatoes and I think that makes a big difference in taste, fresh peeled tomatoes are even better! As far as spice, for me anything in the spice rack or fridge is fair game. Chili powder of course goes in first and then what ever sounds good at the time, onion powder, garlic powder or garlic salt, seasoned salt, paprika, cayene pepper, red pepper if you can get fresh peppers they are the best I have used all kinds of different fresh peppers just dice them up and toss it in. From the fridge I have put in A1 sauce, tabasco, woo stir shire:D no idea how to spell that, sometimes a little molases and a touch of brown sugar, liquid smoke but dont over do it on that stuff. I have never made it the same way twice. I like to let the tomatoes and spices cook a few hours before I add anything else and then add the beans and meat. This will be a pretty thick chili so if you like it a little soupy add some tomatoe juice or water. One other thing if you get too much salt or to much of any flavor in there dont throw it away, peel a couple potatoes leave them whole and drop them in the pot for an hour or so and they will soak it up, then take the taters out and throw them away.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL,sounds like me
    though i use ground meat at times,i like using some kind of roast.brown it good,with salt,pepper,chili poweder.put it in the pot,add a couple cans or so,of chicken broth,simmer.saute onion,can or two of green chilis,garlic.add to pot along with crushed or diced tomatoes.a can or two of brooks chile beans,tabasco or hot sauce,worchestshire,liquid smoke,brown sugar,a little tomato paste for thickening,more spices to taste.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

nope :D i was just guessing :rolleyes:
    here ya go,though.for future reference :D
    worcestershire.
    had to go to the fridge to check,LOL :eek:

6. I will ck at home to see if we still have them,some of the best chile I have ever had :)

7. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

"Chili Steak from 'Famous Chile Recipes from Marlboro Country'

Yield: 6 servings

3 lb Rump or round steak, 1 inch
    1 ts Salt
    1/2 ts Pepper
    2 ea Cl Garlic, crushed
    3 tb Shortening
    1/2 c Green pepper, chopped
    1/2 c Onion, chopped
    1 1/2 c Texas red or original san an
    1/2 c Strong black coffee

Approx. CookTime: 1 hr

Cut steak into six servings. Mix salt, pepper, and crushed
    garlic; season both sides of steak with mixture. Let stand
    in a dish (glass or pottery) for about 1 hour. Pat steaks
    dry and fry in the shortening until browned, turning once.
    Remove from pan. Cook green pepper and onion in pan until
    soft; add chili and coffee. Return steaks to pan ; bring to
    a boil. Reduce temperature, cover and cook 45 minutes. Serve
    with rice. Makes 6 servings.

Here's another Marlboro recipe:
    Yield: 4 Quarts

Ingredients

3 lb lean coursely ground beef
    2 small green peppers, chopped
    2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/4 c cooking oil
    3 cn tomatoes - 1 lb cans
    3 tb chili powder
    2 ts crushed cumin seeds or
    1 ground cumin
    1/4 ts tabasco sauce
    1 c water
    3 cn pinto beans - 15 oz cans
    1 or canned kidney beans

Instructions

Cook beef, green peppers, onions, and garlic in oil in cast-iron
    kettle until beef is lightly browned. Add all ingredients except
    beans. Cover and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in undrained beans; cover
    and simmer 25 minutes. Marlboro Country Cookin' Brochure 1992

8. That sounds like a couple of them,one I always think of was made with cubed pork and beef 3 or 4 kinds of pepers.They also had corn fritters to go with it yummy.Dang I am hungry now :)

9. catking

catking Banned

I'll get the wife to post her White Chili recipe....Misfit has had it as a few other members ... This is EXCELLENT !!!! It's made with navy beans , chicken breast meat , green chilies , chicken broth ,.........it is GREAT stuff ...... And LOW fat ;) THE CATKING !!!

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i think i still have that recipe in my special place :)
    good stuff.i've made it a few times,and it was a hit with family and friends:cool:

11. I have had white chili once before, it was really good but was not like chili at all more like bean soup. Doesnt really matter what ya call it, chili, white chili, bean soup it all does the same thing to me :eek: :eek: and I end up sleeping on the couch:p

12. OK where is the white chili recipe ??? :D

13. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I make my chilli different each time but the four things that i keep the same are cumin, coriandor, chilli powder and cayenne pepper. THE FOUR C'S give it a try some time and i guarantee you will like it. Everyone who tries it comments on the amount of flavor not heat. You can use as much of one or the other as you want to make it your own. I don't have a set amount. Also try beanless chilli with:
    1 lb of stew beef chunks
    The Four C's of course
    1 Bell Pepper
    1 or 2 Jalapanos
    salt and pepper
    1 can of diced tom
    1 cup of spicy V8
    1 can of tom sauce
    diced garlic
    1 onion
    whatever else you like

14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

never used corriander,but i can't sneak the cumin past my wife,as she hates it :rolleyes:
    to me,it's a must,but she can smell it in the chili from 50 yars,so i leave it out,to keep the peace.
    i think it's a mental thing,and if her nose wasn't so good,she probably wouldn't know ;)

15. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I get one can of Bush's Chili Magic-Texas style, one can of Kroger's hot chili beans, then here's the variation, 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, you can experiment, I use Kroger's, sometimes the sliced, sometimes the Mexican, sometimes the Italian style, sometimes the diced with Jalapanos, or maybe one with green chilies. One big sweet onion, about 1/4 of a green pepper. Close to a teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper from a pepper mill, sometimes a teaspoon of minced garlic, a teaspoon of chili power. 1 lb of ground chuck.
    Brown the ground chuck with a little salt, some onion, pepper, drain off the grease, add the remainder of the ingrediants, chop the green pepper real small, slice the onion into nice slices to add some texture. Bring to a boil, simmer until the onions are translucent. Salt to taste. Yummy. ;) If you like it hotter, add a dash of crushed ground red peppers.

You can mix & match the stewed tomatoes for all sorts of flavors. Maybe add more chili powder to taste, an dash of cummin too. You can try some red pepper along with the green, that will make it sweeter.

16. catking

catking Banned

White Chicken Chili

1 lb. Great Nortern beans
    6 cups water
    6 cups chicken broth
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 4oz. cans green chilies
    1 Tbsp. dried oregano
    1 Tbsp. ground red pepper
    1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
    4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
    1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1. Soak beans overnight. Drain off water
    2. Combine beans and next ten ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce
    heat. Cover and simmer about 1 1/2 hours.
    3. Stir in chicken. Simmer for about an or so longer, smashing
    some of the beans to help thicken.
    4. Add cheese right before serving, stir just until melted. Serve
    with extra cheese.........................

And if ya all think I typed this............ :rolleyes: ...THE CATKING !!!

17. THANKS !!!
    But I think I can wait till this fall to try it out..
    I am not a summer time chili eater :)

18. Cyclone Chili

When a blue norther was howlin' across the plains, a plate of Cyclone Chili tasted mighty fine to a cowboy. Green tomatoes and pieces of cactus, thrown in with the beef and peppers, sure helped chase the cold.

1/3 cup lard

4 pounds beef chuck, cut into ½ - inch cubes

1 large onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 cup drained canned nopalitos (cactus pieces) or cooked green pepper strips

12 canned (or fresh) Serrano peppers, seeded and chopped, or 12 tiny green hot pickled peppers, seeded and chopped

2 - 10 ounce cans Mexican green tomatoes or 3 cups of cut-up, fresh tomatillos* (about 10)

1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste

1 ½ cups beef stock or canned beef broth*

1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander or 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander

5 teaspoons crushed cumin seeds or ground cumin

1 ½ teaspoons salt

½ teaspoon ground black pepper

Heat lard in a kettle; add meat, about 1 pound at a time, removing after each pound is browned. After all four pounds are browned, put onions and garlic in kettle and cook until soft. Return all beef to kettle.

Rinse cactus pieces in cold water; drain and add to beef. Also add peppers, green tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about 2 ½ hours. Makes about 2 ½ quarts.

*If using fresh tomatillos, increase beef stock or broth to 3 cups.

19. catking

catking Banned

Ya all are making me hungry.... I'm going to try every one of these recipes come fall...... Thanks ....... THE CATKING !!! :)

20. Come fall, I agree with ya on that King fall is the time for chili making.