close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

You think the spawn is over yet?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Stampede, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Anyone think the spawn is about over?Went out last weekend didn't have any luck.Hope this weekend is better. :B

2. I think the spawn is over here in Tusc. County, Went out Monday night all night for Flatheads, caught 3 flats weighing around #20, #15 and #2, no signs of spawning on them, Also caught a #11 channel, no signs of spawing either. I have been catching them on chubs, goldfish and cut bait. No luck on Chicken liver, crawlers or dip bait.
    Tory :p

3. Good job on the catfish. I'm gonna try the Tusc. for channels probaly tommorrow night.
    I've caught a few small flatheads in the Tusc. , but can't seem to find the big ones.

4. I fished Hoover in Central OH and we caught 19 channels Saturday night - no signs of spawning. Definately over there.

5. Yeah I fished the Tusc river down by Gnaden
    Tory

6. Id have to say every where that I have fished recently the spawn is over...Ive been catching pretty decent fish...the bite is still kinda far between but thats how catfishing goes...

7. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Good to hear.Maybe this weekend will be a good . :B :B

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I caught catfish last year in August that still had eggs in them.

9. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

i THOUGHT the spawn was over BUT last night i caught a 13 inch channel cat from tappan lake which was oozing eggs out of her.

10. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Yup he did........kind of still makes us wonder

BUT we realize that not all the fish will start and stop the same time......most of the nicer ones we have caught lately have seemed to be over the spawn though

11. flathunter

Maybe the spawn has just started?

12. rockbass

rockbass Banned

That could be too Flathunter!

13. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

That's waht I was thinking, it's only just begun rockbass.
    The spawning of channel cats.

14. rockbass

rockbass Banned

It may have, but I have seen several nicer sized channels that have appeared to be off the spawn. BUT I am not an expert, I just noticed that the larger females we pretty skinny and the larger males were skinny and beat up a good bit......and it was not from pulling them from heavy cover. Hard to tell. I just know that most of the females that we have been catching have been real skinny. Have not seemed to have any eggs in them until the little one Brian caught.

15. flathunter

I saw a couple flatheads the other night that had no signs of spawning on them, if the spawn had just ended seems these fish would have showed the effects..Maybe the ones I saw did not spawn this year, or maybe they are yet to spawn..I hope it's over believe me.

16. it just depends on what on what lake, river, or pond your looking at. Im in pike county and im pretty sure they are still on spawn. But not all fish in the lake are gonna spawn at the same time

17. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I went to Miami Whitewater Friday night and Saturday night and caught some nice size channels (5-10 lbs) and all of them looks to be done with the spawning to me. They were biting on hot dogs and stink bait, especially hot dogs. I noticed that they bite pretty well right at dusk as the sun is so low it just generates a little light. As soon as night hits, the cats tend to slack off little and bites are kinda hard to get.

18. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Went to eastfork last sat nite and didn't do any good.One little cat in four hours.Hope this weekend is better.