Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the lmr tonight for about 2 hours before dark. Best day this year. I caught about 40 fish no joke... mostly being white bass from 6 in- 15 in. I also caught 5 hybrids from about the 2-3 pound range. And best of all I got into some nice saugeye I caught about 5 two where nice one being 15 in and the other being 19 in. I was fishing somewhere in-between Milford Bridge and the Newtown Bridge. I used some homemade white hair jigs and some white grubs. I think I could have caught more saugeye if I tried with some minnows or maybe a different jig color. Anyone out there know a hot color for saugeyes? alos i lost the biggest saugeye/sauger i have ever seen i thought it was a hybrid so i was horsein her in, fish got about three feet from the shore and my jig poped out. fish had to be at least 5 pounds huge! anyone know what the state records are? this fish could have been one i still feel sick for losein it. Anyway I will put some pics up tom after I go back. Word of advice find your self a nice riffle with a good pool below it and look out the fish are hitting hard on the lmr.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Looks like I might be hitting up the LMR today after work, I live in Mariemont and I might know where you are talking about. How's the walk to any of these places right now is it all still muddy? Let me know if you plan on heading down there again tonight, I might just run into you.

Jake

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
i should be on the river sun morning, still debating what to fish for though... think im gonna bust out the flyrod either way

·
Registered
226 Posts
You guys should refer to yourselves as 'river rats.' Sort of a badge of honor. On the coast, you would be known as 'pier rats.'

Anyway, the LMR might be a little higher after the rains we've gotten. That's one of the problems with mastering rivers...they are very inconsistent and change frequently.

I don't know that there's any sauger in LMR. Anyone? I know that a 5Lb saugeye would not be close to the state record...but is still a nice saugeye nonetheless.

Good luck,

WJ

·
Cowboy Charters
1,665 Posts
anyone know what the state records are? this fish could have been one i still feel sick for losein it. (quote)

Roger Sizemore of Orient, Ohio has the state record saugeye weighing 14.04 pounds from Antrim Lake in Franklin County on November 24th, 2006.

Sizemore’s record catch was 30-1/8 inches long with a girth of 18-3/4 inches. The fish was caught on spinning tackle with 6 lb line, using yellow Berkley power bait at approximately 11:30 a.m.

The state record Sauger is 7.31lbs and 24 1/2"

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
the lmr is one of the top inland(not the big O) rivers for sauger in the state, my best out of it is over 21in. there are also at times good numbers of big saugeye and there are fish in the 5-6lb range and probably bigger. the neat part is the walleye that have just exploded the past few years, mostly small ones but they'll grow.
as for the rain i hope theres not much, every week i look at the river level from here at school and what to be on the lmr and it rains almost every weekend. if it doesnt blow up though ill be nailing them this weekend
....muskies or stripers....the big debate :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i fished again tonight with one of my buddies we fished from 6- dark and caught about 60 fish. moslty small white bass around 10 in. i also caught 6 sauger/saugeye with my biggest being 13 in. all my big fish left from last night oh well. i will try to put some pics up from last nigth i just have to change my file size which i dont know how to do. but i will try tom. oh my friend also caugth a gar on a silver rooster tail that was about ten pounds huge... that rooster tail was the hot bait tonight. we also got them on small shad colored cranks. the river was about the same as last night level wise and the clarity was still good. anyway i will be hittin the river tom afternoon. going to drop my canoe at the milford bridge and fish to newtown. i will work on those pics and you can tell me weather my fish are sauger/saugeye.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
13in from the lmr almost garontee its a sauger, theres not as many saugeye in that river as people think, still could have been, easiest way to tell is if it has distinct spots on the dorsal, it is a sauger
any big fish busting in the rips last night??? i always love targeting mystery fish. also im guessing 10-15in of visiblilty am i close or is it still muddy

·
LMR Master Angler
940 Posts
Saugeye = gill plate has many rough scales, dorsal fin has distinct streaks with 1-2 rows of spots at the base, dark splotch at rear base of dorsal fin

Sauger = gill plate has few scales, circular spots on dorsal fin, no black splotch at rear of dorsal

This is how you tell the difference.
also Walleye = White tip of tail is distinct, no streaks or spots on dorsal, smooth gill plate, not many splotches at all below the lateral line.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Are most of you guys fishing in the Cincy area of the LMR? I have always heard great things about the LMR and I cant wait to get my kayak out on it sometime this year.

Jake

1 - 15 of 15 Posts