close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

You guys know these lakes better..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stampede, May 24, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

You guys know the lakes around here better than i do.Were looking for a lake,Ohio or ky to go to over the memorial day weekend.One that might not be to crowded.Were wanting to go camping and put the boat out and were hopeing to find somewhere that won't be super crowded.Any chance of that?

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Not crowded on Mem Weekend? That's TOUGH. This weekend typically kicks off the boating season for the pleasure boaters. Only places I would think might be less crowded would be hp restriced/electric only lakes. Usually the Ulimited HP lakes are SLAMMED this weekend.

Wish I had more to tell you, but every lake I've ever been on (provided the weather is nice) on mem weekend has always been packed.

3. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Acton(Hueston Woods) and Cowan will have plenty of boats on them, but most will be fisherman. Not the ski boats. They are both 10 hp and less so that will keep alot of the traffic down. I plan on going too one or the other on sat. morning so if you chose one, maybe I will go there and we can help each other out. Both are state parks and have campgrounds, although yu would have to check to see if they are full for that weekend. Good luck whereever you go.

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I was thinking of saying Cowan for the same reasons Bassinpro stated. I know Caesar's and Brookville and East Fork will be a zoo.

5. catking

catking Banned

How about Paint Creek Lake?? It doesn't get near the traffic that other lakes get, for one reason it is smaller than most. Good campground, docks and a better than average fishing lake. CATKING

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

The only water I personally would be on this weekend would be the Ohio River. Everything else, including Lake Erie will be packed.

7. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

although i afree with lew about being on the river instead of a lake this weekend even the rivers will be crowded, if i had the last word i would be camping on the banks of the allegheny or ohio river but as it is i take my holiday orders from the boss and she says we are going to pymatuning from saturday till mid week so i may get 1 day of peace and tranquility, everyone enjoy your holiday and remember be extra nice to all the buttheads your gonna run into at the boat launches cause it isn,t their fault that they only come out once a year and ruin it for the rest of us............lol............. have a great holiday..... :cool:

8. I'd second Paint Creek. Not too big, not too small - you can get away from others. It's not as heavily used as the others, and as the King says the fishing is pretty good.

Cowan wouldn't be a bad #2 spot, but I can assure you it will be packed with pleasure cruisers and fishermen alike. I've hit Cowan 2 times in the last 14 days - 1 weekday, 1 weekend day. Both days there were a few "party barges" cruising around and a couple sailboats. This weekend will be 10X the normal traffic. Also, I've been catching mostly small fish @ Cowan :(

I'll be taking my boat to a private 12 acre gravel pit located in SW Ohio. I'd tell you all where, but then...... I like you guys too much! :D

9. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

I know this is a bad weekenk to be out.We might just try paint creek.Thanks.

10. Portage Lakes

Portage Lakes OGF Member

Remember that many boat parking areas will fill up so it is a good idea to start early. Just to give you an idea, if it is a nice day the Portage Lakes boat trailer parking areas will fill up by 9 or 10 am.

PL...........

11. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Holiday weekends are a good time to try out the creeks and streams off the beaten path. Last Memorial weekend my wife and I went to Hargus. It's electric only and not very crowded. There was no line at the ramp. They also have camping there. Enjoy!