close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

You be the judge!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LakeRaider, Aug 2, 2005.

1. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

:( Found this site and was apalled at this footage! :mad: Does this type of tournament fishing really exist? Never heard of it around here. I can see bowfishing for food ( a fish or two to eat but) this is trully a pathetic type of
    abuse to any creature! :mad: Here ya' go- YOU BE THE JUDGE!
    www.fishinghurts.com - click on Recent features-Thousands of fish impalled.
    WARNING- graphic content! LakeRaider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. PETA to me is a PITA, coming from a vegetarian thats saying something. Bowfishing 100's of fish may be a little extreme but that video didnt show that to me at least. I didnt see anything pinned to tree trunks or exploding as the website implies. Does it happen? Maybe but if PETA ruled the world we would be overran by animals of all species(deer,dogs,cats). They always pick the worst footage to show the people and try to convert them to veganism, but I think it just shows that they are just another group of people trying to push you into their beliefs and they show you pictures/video footage to aid in that.

3. I didn't waste my time looking, because the site itself tells me all I need to know. Those types of people have a way of twisting the facts, and lying, to support their own agenda. It may very well be something I don't agree with, but those aren't the type of allies I need or want, and I'm sure as hell not going to take their word for it.

4. petas nothin but a bunch of ignorant sissies who dont know a damb thing about wildlife

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I'm not a bowfisherman, but I'd support a bowfisherman before I'd support a Frekin PETA backed product or website. Had I know it was PETA driven I never would have opened it.

6. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

*shaking my head* get a hobby people.......

7. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Well, I see what you men think of PETA and I agree with you. And I have never met a sportsmen who agrees with their silly crap. My question was, is there really carp bowfishing tournaments where they ruthlessly kill that many fish? I just don,t see the point in it. If somebody knows or has participated, what do they do with all the dead fish? Waste? Fertilizer? Left in drums stinking up the whole place? Raider

8. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

I got as far as this on that site:

" Imagine reaching for an apple on a tree and having your hand suddenly impaled by a metal hook that drags you—the whole weight of your body pulling on that one hand—out of the air and into an atmosphere in which you cannot breathe. This is what fish experience when they are hooked for “sport.” "

Sorry, these folks are ate up................

9. I think I am going to go with Big Chessie on this one:

PETA

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

10. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I don't bowfish either, But it looks pretty fun i must admit. As for what is done with the fish after a tourney, who cares they only shoot fish that are invasive and troublesome to native fish. I know this prolly pisses off die hard carp fisherman, but you guys know that they are a pretty shitty fish. Granted they are a ton of fun to catch on rod and reel, and by all means i support those of you who do fish for them, but these bow fisherman are helping the bodies of water that they are on. Just my .02

11. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Did anyone see where PETA got caught putting down THOUSANDS of cats!! The wonderful leader of them explained "It was costing to much to maintain them" lol Funny how all of the faithful followers will fight tooth and nail against hunters but their own leader is putting down domestics right under their noses lol On another site I belong too a bunch of guys went to a peta site and trolled awhile. I would suggest everyone to go visit one of their forum sites and see what these kids are up to. VERY scary to think what todays youth are brainwashed into believing. They have tried to put up fences around farmers fields to keep OUT field mice and bunnies so they won't get killed when they harvest. They have tried running around the woods and "peeing" on everything to warn deer. It just goes on and on. There is a growing group of kids that will live,eat and survive from ONLY what they can find in DUMPSTERS!! It is their way of saving the planet by not adding to the problem of landfills.

12. Between PETA and bowfishing……I’ll take bowfishing

Between jock itch and hemorrhoids……I’ll take jock itch

Between the Browns and the Bengals…..I’ll take the Browns

The lesser of two great evils…..

Fortunately, WE don’t have to choose! I can happily despise both PETA and bowfishing!

13. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

2 out of 3 ain't bad. lol

14. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

" Imagine reaching for an apple on a tree and having your hand suddenly impaled by a metal hook that drags you—the whole weight of your body pulling on that one hand—out of the air and into an atmosphere in which you cannot breathe. This is what fish experience when they are hooked for “sport.” "

"imagine"

thats what peta people do, imagine.

sit in their house or apartment and imagine.

gee just imagine.

what a silly word, imagine. :mad:

15. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I read the USA today last thursday and the only article o n the upcoming classic was about PETA and how they protested the classic. They said, fish feel pain...yadda, yadda, yadda. I can't believe they get the coverage they do. Just freakin' amazing.

By the way, did you read the Sunday Dispatch in COlumbus? Two people were found guilty of disrupting a hunt in Indiana. Only got probation and fined. COME ON!

Oh, I agree with Bronzeback on this topic.

16. Not sure where that tourney is but I just fished with a guy who shoots one of these tourneys on Saginaw bay and the farmers grind the fish up and use them for fertilizer. I know alot of guys don't care for bowfishing but it is really a blast!!! When I had a buddy that turtle trapped we used to go to the creeks weekly to get some carp for bait. He gave up trappin' and I have no use for dead carp so the bow has not been on the water in about 10 years. Wish I had a use for them I would love to get back into it but I can't see killing them just for the hell of it.

17. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Whats the difference of shooting carp for sport and shooting groundhogs?

18. Groundhogs explode if you use the right ammunition? :)
    I don’t believe it is legal to shoot carp and make them explode.

19. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Still no answer to my question. :confused: I,m not trying to start a confrontation. I just want to know if there are really carp shooting tourneys where 100,s of lbs. of carp are bowshot and not immediatley killed and left to suffer. And weighed in, in this condition. Simple question, simple answer. I,m sure our group here at OGF
    wouldn,t participate in this debatchery. My buddy zfish explained to me that when he bowfishes carp at nite that the majority of fish shot are headshots and the kill is immediate! The other wounded fish are immediatley dispatched!
    Fine, great sport if your,e into it. I have posted this ? at other sites in a few states and it looks like its a PETA pile of dung again! I was just curious. Thanx, Raider

20. brandonjh00

brandonjh00 wannabebasspro

I'm not sure about tournaments, but I know alot of people bowfish for carp. Also, they usually toss them towards the shore for the animals to eat. Personally, it doesn't bother me, but I don't do it.

P.S. I like the part in the site that says 43% of all catch and release fish die within 6 days. Gimme a break! I better stop fishing my ponds, wonder I don't see more of these dead fish there?