Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
K C C O
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to my new money hole today and cought what i think is a mounter. But first I went to hoover spillway and saw a couple people snagin some huge s-eye, they all looked to be all over 19 inchs. My friend and I didn't do so well so we went back to this new money hole, which had been shown to me for the first time yesterday. I was throwin a jig while watchin my other rig w/a bober and minows. A old Man yelled over that he was usin mindows here yesterday and had no luck. As soon as he left I hooked into this 2 & 1/2 lbs 15 incher, it was 11 & 1/4 inchs around and had a 5 inch tailfin. I caught this beast on my ultra-lite 5 & 1/2 ft. rig which made it even more fun. 3 more inchs I would of had the state record.
WOW what a way to start a season.

;) I have to give mad props to my new dude I met on this site, he showed me the spot in which I caught this beauty.
AND OHH YAA I FORGOT WERE I CAUGHT IT SO DON'T ASK :D THANKS
I'll give you a hint it's in central Ohio.

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
Nice fish! I'd say she's definetely a mounter at 15". That's a really, really nice crappie. It looks like a white crappie.

The last thing I want to do is rain on your parade but the state records go by weight and the state record white crappie is 3.9lbs. You're right though if that beast would've been 3 inches longer maybe it would be pushing 4lbs if its already 2.5 lbs now. The state record black crappie is 4.5lbs. Those numbers blow me away. I got a 17" last year at a golf course pond and it was barely over 2lbs. It was paper thin.

Again, great fish and congrats!

·
K C C O
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was also woundering if anyone knows of someone who does nice mounts?

·
Registered
190 Posts
tell me wher you got it and ill tell ya who can mount it lol just kidding :) nice croppie dude

·
Registered
733 Posts
My tournament buddy got a 17" crappie at a quarry we always fish that was right around 3lbs. His pic is up of him holding it at the Hilliard gander Mountain.

Nice fish though! Do you need permission to fish all golf course ponds?

·
K C C O
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to a bait shop. Can't tell you which one. I've never fished a golf course pond, how is it Carp? and if i was at a golf course then my was a old man there fishin with me and other people?
Don't hate.....

·
Registered
733 Posts
I was referring to Pigstickers response in regards to the Golf Course pond question. Sorry the structure of my post was a bit confusing.

Very nice Crappie though!

G

·
Nice fish! As far as getting it mounted, I cant remember the guys name, but he did two trout for me. I got his name from the Mad river Outfitters store. He lives over by the Hoover dam. I will look around for his card, I got a 28.5 inch saugeye at Indian I am going to have mounted.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,145 Posts
Real nice crappie Gotem. Good to see you value a trophy fish and you're looking to get it mounted. That is very cool!

Oh and Syclone, my hats off to ya as a 28.5" saugeye is a freakin pig for sure!!!!

I use Jim's Taxidermy in Port Clinton. On a saugeye mount, no matter who is doing it I would definately take in a clear photo that shows the color pattern or it may come back looking exactly like a walleye.

CG

·
K C C O
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Leupy if there's a picture of a 4 lbs crappie at a hoover bait shop then it must be the state record because Pigsticker said the state record is 3.9 lbs. I would like to see that hog if it is really 4 lbs, i'll have to look next time i'm out there. Thanks all for the positive feedback.

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
It could be over 4lbs and still not be a record if it's a black crappie, which im pretty sure it is. The record for white crappie is 3.9 but for the black its 4.5lbs. That would really suck to catch a crappie over 4lbs and not get a record wouldn't it? Or that pic could be from out of state also.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts