21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
There are some molds for sale in the Marketplace

·
Carp53.65
4,142 Posts
My gut reaction is No for a few reasons. As much as I fish anything lead related I go through a lot. Started hoarding molds in my early 20s. I consider them an investment that when I get too old to fish will have more than paid for themselves. For the regular guy it really is not worth it unless you want to pour custom jigs with the exact hook style that you want. The worst part of store bought jigs is the hooks. I also used to live right next to the Maumee River. The amount of trolling sinkers that I used to go through was nuts. Then add in shovelhead fishing in the summer just the costs of those two would be very expensive over the course of the season. Just for those two types of fishingI have 5 molds to cover my needs. Also you have jig fishing in the spring on Erie and the Detroit River. For Erie I always used custom hair jigs and blade baits. Just for that I think I still have 6 molds. On the Detroit River there are days while jig fishing where it feels like you do nothing but donate to the bottom of the river. Just the cost to replace jigs from the store those molds are paid for. Growing up in northeast Ohio I used to fish for steelhead like it was my job. Most guys now days pour their own custom jigs for drift fishing. I also make my own inline spinner. The cost of anything zinc related gets expensive fast. Used to pour lead then spray paint the bodies to avoid the cost of brass. Used to be able to crank out a spinner with my Hagens wire bender for a quarter. Lost plenty of them. Paid for especially because I can make anything wire related then use that in a pour. I could keep going on but I think that I have made my point. For me personally I hate to buy anything that I can make especially if I know that there is a likelihood that the mold will pay for itself. Currently good lead is very difficult to obtain. Most scrap yards will not sell it to you. Your other options are places like eBay or take a colinder and sift out shooting range lead for larger pours. Wheel weights are not a good option for small pours. If you want to pour catfish sinkers knock yourself out. Most tire shops unfortunately now have contracts that sell their used wheel weights to. So getting those are also difficult to obtain. I probably own close to 50 molds and have around 6-700 pounds of soft lead in my garage. Anything lead related I have covered. It’s especially nice to have all of that during a pandemic. i do not have to search for anything.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My gut reaction is No for a few reasons. As much as I fish anything lead related I go through a lot. Started hoarding molds in my early 20s. I consider them an investment that when I get too old to fish will have more than paid for themselves. For the regular guy it really is not worth it unless you want to pour custom jigs with the exact hook style that you want. The worst part of store bought jigs is the hooks. I also used to live right next to the Maumee River. The amount of trolling sinkers that I used to go through was nuts. Then add in shovelhead fishing in the summer just the costs of those two would be very expensive over the course of the season. Just for those two types of fishingI have 5 molds to cover my needs. Also you have jig fishing in the spring on Erie and the Detroit River. For Erie I always used custom hair jigs and blade baits. Just for that I think I still have 6 molds. On the Detroit River there are days while jig fishing where it feels like you do nothing but donate to the bottom of the river. Just the cost to replace jigs from the store those molds are paid for. Growing up in northeast Ohio I used to fish for steelhead like it was my job. Most guys now days pour their own custom jigs for drift fishing. I also make my own inline spinner. The cost of anything zinc related gets expensive fast. Used to pour lead then spray paint the bodies to avoid the cost of brass. Used to be able to crank out a spinner with my Hagens wire bender for a quarter. Lost plenty of them. Paid for especially because I can make anything wire related then use that in a pour. I could keep going on but I think that I have made my point. For me personally I hate to buy anything that I can make especially if I know that there is a likelihood that the mold will pay for itself. Currently good lead is very difficult to obtain. Most scrap yards will not sell it to you. Your other options are places like eBay or take a colinder and sift out shooting range lead for larger pours. Wheel weights are not a good option for small pours. If you want to pour catfish sinkers knock yourself out. Most tire shops unfortunately now have contracts that sell their used wheel weights to. So getting those are also difficult to obtain. I probably own close to 50 molds and have around 6-700 pounds of soft lead in my garage. Anything lead related I have covered. It’s especially nice to have all of that during a pandemic. i do not have to search for anything.
I think you made up my mind I was leaning on no and i really don't go through a lot just wanted to be prepared for shortage

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have a lee 10 pound bottom pour pot and 14 different molds, jigs and sinkers. The reason I got into it was because the local bait and tackle shop closed where I bought all my jigs and sinkers. I do a lot of river fishing and lose a lot of sinkers and jigs.

leadheadsfishing.com has the best price on clean lead ingots, better than you will find on ebay. Ordered 50 lbs from him and its excellent. Barlows Tackle is a good place for molds and jig hooks, some of the best prices I have found and quick shipping.

Its a great way to pass the winter. I pour in my garage, open the garage door, and turn the heater on. Hammer out a bunch of jigs and sinkers, by the time spring comes I am good for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also am planning on trying to make my own. I bought a small electric pot, and some sinker molds a couple of years ago. I enjoyed making my own. I am going to purchase at least 1 new mold for jigs from Barlow's, and see where it goes. for me it is not as much about the money, just like the feel of making my own, then seeing the be successful.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
As a cost saving measure I just couldn't see where you make out by making your own. I used to make my own jigs and sinkers years ago and I made tons of jigs and coffee cans full of sinkers. Over the years my interests and style of fishing has changed but the molds stayed the same. I ended up giving tons of my leftovers away to other who could use them.

If I really sit back and think about it, I probably spent more money trying to save a few bucks than I would have spent if I just bought supplies as I needed them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tire shops don't use lead anymore... I make my own jigs and some spinner baits... All told it cost me more to make them than I could buy them at BPS... But I get the color I want and the size I want... Dan

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
As a cost saving measure I just couldn't see where you make out by making your own. I used to make my own jigs and sinkers years ago and I made tons of jigs and coffee cans full of sinkers. Over the years my interests and style of fishing has changed but the molds stayed the same. I ended up giving tons of my leftovers away to other who could use them.

If I really sit back and think about it, I probably spent more money trying to save a few bucks than I would have spent if I just bought supplies as I needed them.
AMEN! I gave my Lee Furnace, all my molds, & lead away (I had about 50 lbs) years ago. You're right! When you figure out what we spend in equipment & materials, plus our time, there is little (if ANY) savings. I will say that the extra satisfaction of catching fish on something I created was, and still is, hard to let go. Now I tie flies, but with declining vision, the flies I still tie are much simpler, so much of my tying gear/materials will go pretty soon.
Mike

·
Registered
141 Posts
they have the 10# electric pots right now on eBay for 90.00 (130.00 on amazon). then you can find lead on eBay also for about around 2.00 a lb shipped. I poured jigs and barrel sinkers then started pouring 3, 4, 5, oz no roll sinkers for saltwater fishing. loved the idea of doing it and loved being able to just go down to the pole barn and make what I needed. I got my lead for free from work. I still have the pot and a couple of molds in case I need it but don't really need them. I have about 75# of lead left where I made anchors at work by using the bottom of a coffee can and 2 pie pans. they are heavy anchors. I say go for it as it's fun doing it yourself.
I don't save any money pouring my own, I don't use enough. I save my friends tons of money buy supplying them as I don't charge. I really enjoy doing so it is very inexpensive recreation. I get my lead from scrap yards 50 cents per pound. I don't use wheel weights as to much alloy in them and not good for sinkers and have to heat hotter. I make my own anchors and wheel weights good for them. We do use a lot of weights in the Maumee river.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I save money, and lately recoup some , money and donated fish for a daily limit when things are slow catching ..... figure .15 a jig to make instead of 1.25 to 2.50 and can loose as fast as you tie them on ..... toothy fish in the ocean, like piranha plus enjoy doing it ..... self satisfaction catching with something I made and sometimes not many others catching when certain color is hot
Weights sure have went up in price lately too

DSCI0528.jpg

DSCI0529.jpg

21 - 30 of 30 Posts