Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been debating on purchasing a hot pot and sinker molds The cost to start making them is expensive hot pot cost Molds and purchasing the lead I heard most tire shops charge for old weights so what do you guys think Yes buy or No buy store bought

·
Registered
16,656 Posts
No

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I will start by saying that I have never made a mold or seen one made. But it mostly depends on you. Is making molds something you want to spend time doing? Is it something that you will enjoy doing? Cause if you are doing it in thinking that you may save some money in the very long run and won't enjoy doing it. Then I would say don't do it.
I make my own crawler harnesses for Lake Erie. I love spending winter days just sitting in my chair and putting them together when the weather outside isn't any good. I enjoy it and it relaxes me. So if this is something that you would enjoy doing, then I say go for it.

·
Banned
977 Posts
How much lead do YOU use? Ask your self. Your age versus use and time left. Not trying to be a downer just real life,

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much lead do YOU use? Ask your self. Your age versus use and time left. Not trying to be a downer just real life,
I will start by saying that I have never made a mold or seen one made. But it mostly depends on you. Is making molds something you want to spend time doing? Is it something that you will enjoy doing? Cause if you are doing it in thinking that you may save some money in the very long run and won't enjoy doing it. Then I would say don't do it.
I make my own crawler harnesses for Lake Erie. I love spending winter days just sitting in my chair and putting them together when the weather outside isn't any good. I enjoy it and it relaxes me. So if this is something that you would enjoy doing, then I say go for it.
I have been hashing this over for quite a while I don't go thru a lot but with this covid there has been a shortage of fishing gear in general so my train of thought went back to making my own not sure if i would enjoy it

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no downer taken LOL It was brought back to mind due to the fishing gear shortage always try to be prepared

·
Banned
977 Posts
It can be fun to do but you will need to add ventilation to your set up, Good luck and have fun. Bruce

·
Registered
17 Posts
These sinkers will cost you $5 each to make, just buy them in a store. You have all winter to find what you need.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What type of sinker are you looking for? I make my own and may have what you are looking for.
mainly 1/4 egg sinkers but also 3/4 1 2 oz egg I have quite a few now but looking to stock up

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I worked in hospitals for many years. A great lead source can be in radiology & nuclear medicine, if you know someone. I always got mine free, in some LARGE pieces.

Mike

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I did the hot pot and do it molds for jigs for river fishing, it wasn’t that expensive a big box of jig hooks last quite awhile. I even poured my own black powder round balls. I sold all my stuff a few years back didn’t need it anymore, but it was fun. You can get your stuff at Jans netcraft . Com. Catalog of do it yourself lures ect-..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I pour some for personal use, to share with friends, and sell some..... I enjoy doing it
Pouring and tying.... made a few molds , made some pier gaffs for the salt water pier
I learned the junk lead is harder to work with, and the soft lead in what I seek to use
As stated above ventilation is a must..... I could loose a bunch of jigs in a day with the Spanish mackerel..... at 1.00 to 2.50 a piece plus per jig & 1000lbs of free lead .... most went offshore when I was going with a private boat & friends & into the gaffs
If your just wanting egg sinkers , no way I would invest the $..... I have a no roll mold, &the egg weights are kinda large 10oz +

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did the hot pot and do it molds for jigs for river fishing, it wasn’t that expensive a big box of jig hooks last quite awhile. I even poured my own black powder round balls. I sold all my stuff a few years back didn’t need it anymore, but it was fun. You can get your stuff at Jans netcraft . Com. Catalog of do it yourself lures ect-..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yep buy from jann net all the time grubs and Jig heads

Reactions: snag

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pour some for personal use, to share with friends, and sell some..... I enjoy doing it
Pouring and tying.... made a few molds , made some pier gaffs for the salt water pier
I learned the junk lead is harder to work with, and the soft lead in what I seek to use
As stated above ventilation is a must..... I could loose a bunch of jigs in a day with the Spanish mackerel..... at 1.00 to 2.50 a piece plus per jig & 1000lbs of free lead .... most went offshore when I was going with a private boat & friends & into the gaffs
If your just wanting egg sinkers , no way I would invest the $..... I have a no roll mold, &the egg weights are kinda large 10oz +
I'm kinda leaning on just buying them I suppose if I was dong them in large lots it would be different

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have been pouring lead most of my 61 years here on earth. Ya dont have to invest a ton of money on supply's if you are resourseful. I use old cast iron dutch oven pots. Use a small cast iron pot to dip and pour with. Ya can use any heat, either electric or gas heat. Keep the heat low to prevent over heating of your lead. The pricey part is buying your molds if you choose market style molds. I always pick up spent lead in slugs, bullets, decoy weights, Etc. Full metal jackets have lead cores. If you pour split shots, find a retired plumber, they always have soft #1 stashed away in the barn they will sell Yard sales have been a great place for me to find cheap lead but they rarely set it out. Ya have to ask if they have lead willing to sell..,,, Remember,, Safety is #1,, never have any liquid what so ever around you melting/pouring area. Dont even let a drop of sweat hit it and ventalation pulling fumes away from your face is a must.

·
florida ice fishing
13,960 Posts
they have the 10# electric pots right now on eBay for 90.00 (130.00 on amazon). then you can find lead on eBay also for about around 2.00 a lb shipped. I poured jigs and barrel sinkers then started pouring 3, 4, 5, oz no roll sinkers for saltwater fishing. loved the idea of doing it and loved being able to just go down to the pole barn and make what I needed. I got my lead for free from work. I still have the pot and a couple of molds in case I need it but don't really need them. I have about 75# of lead left where I made anchors at work by using the bottom of a coffee can and 2 pie pans. they are heavy anchors. I say go for it as it's fun doing it yourself.

·
florida ice fishing
13,960 Posts
you can also get pre-made sinkers on eBay at fair prices. the last time I needed 5 oz no roll sinkers I got them off eBay. I just didn't feel like standing down in the pole barn and pouring them anymore.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Great advice given , its up to you
I originally started making 3lb deep drop weights for offshore, but found my need when on the pier for jigs, they worked great and some started wanting to buy ....its a nice feeling in my jigs are catching when others aren't especially when I started cutting the nose , great side to side action if swimmed
And darting if jigged the Spanish loved them plus other fish , 2-1/2 lbs went into the stainless king gaffs , a design the locals , they also worked on other fish up to 50lbs
I kinda stopped with the gaffs , just wasn't fun anymore and haven't done a jig in over a year
Got a bunch to tie and most likely will now hunting is over,
20200514_091813.jpg

9437.jpeg

20190819_090349.jpg

6407mc.jpg

FB_IMG_1554057691083.jpg

20190401_205620.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts