close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yellowstone-Mt. Rushmore?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cobras, Aug 5, 2004.

1. I am making a small dream come true by visiting these two parks in a couple of weeks with the wife and kids(11 and 16). Are there any do's or dont's that anybody who has been there can give me a heads up on?

2. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I almost went there this year but couldn't find affordable accomodations anywhere. Seems you need to book a long time in advance to keep from being raped on lodging out there.

Haven't been, but have been to many National Parks. If I have one comment, DO get out of the car and get into the wilderness. Immerse yourself in the surroundings. You can hike the trails and in no time you are away from civilization and in the woods. The scenery is second to none and is a must see for people. Enjoy it, but allow plenty of time to absorb what is there. Too many people do a whirlwind tour and miss stuff. Don't try to see it all if you don't have the time- focus on a few must-see places and do it in entirety. Yellowstone is a treasure for certain. Like Yosemite, it is a truly unique place.

Have a blast. Sounds like a great time.

UFM82

3. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

If you are going to Mt Rushmore make sure you visit the Crazy Horse monument as well. It is close by and is an awesome site. We were there in 1994 and I will get back some day to see both areas again!

4. Wall drug store is close by Mt. Rushmore and would be a nice stop for the kids....you name it, it is in that store somewhere.

UFM82 makes a great point about Yellowstone. I've spent weeks in Yellowstone and have only visited one or two sites. Just so much to see and absorb. Take your time and get off the beaten path if possible and time allows. If you have a chance to take your fishing rod (especially if you fly fish) do so and you can catch some trophy trout right off the main access roads. I would obviously hit Old Faithful, West Yellowstone has a nice IMAX presentation, Mt. Washburn gives you the best chance at seeing a bear and some nice elk, and the Lamar Valley is beautiful and holds bounds of bison, many wolves, and a chance for a bear or two.

We went last year and caught 550 cutthroat and brook trout between the 5 of us in 10 days of fishing. It is a trip you'll never forget. Enjoy your trip. I'll miss being there this year.

JB

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto on crazy horse.it has changed a lot sinvce i was there in 90.gotta see it for sure.if you want a real close encounter with rushmore,take the copter ride.they fly you right up in the face.awesome :cool:
    don't pass up the caverns around there either.some great ones .wall drug is a have to stop,just to say you've been there ;)
    the badlands is another "don't miss" stop.
    i doubt i'll make it again,but if the possibility presents itself,that's a trip i'd love to do again.

6. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

try to get to grand teton, just south of yellowstone, there are many outfitters inside and outside the park where you can raft down the snake. some are whitewater, some are just lazy scenic rides down the river. beautiful scenery any one you go on, lots of fun for your kids. lots of places in yellowstone to fish. went there a couple of years ago. would like to go back. enjoy. it was a trip of a life time.

7. catking

catking Banned

DO NOT pet the grizzlies :eek: Other than that, have a Great time on this once in a lifetime trip. Good for you guys........... CATKING

8. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Take the hike up Mt. Washburn. It isn't the easiest of hikes as you ascend a couple thousand feet to the top, but it is one of the best places to catch a glimpse of bighorn sheep and there is a lookout shelter on top of it and it is amazing. On clear days, you can see the Tetons! And of course you can see all of yellowstone. I went in August and we had a small snowball fight! That was pretty cool. I was only fifteen at the time and that hike stands out in my mind still. We also did a horse carriage ride deal that included dinner that was pretty cool. But I can't remember what it was called.

9. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I have been there 2 times my dads out there agian this yr right now for the sturgis rally, take plenty of time and see the sites, as mentioned the badlands, yellowstown, grand tetons, wall drug. enjoy yourself

10. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. I've got a baby due in December and already talking to the wife about when we can take a long trip out west and see all that stuff. I've only got 10 or 12 years to plan it!;) Are you camping or driving a motorhome or staying in hotels?? Be sure to give us all the details when you get back.

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD