Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed one of last years hot cranks-Model A B04 sunrise craw-had a heavy yellowing/amber of the clear bill.No problem with my chart craws B04s. This season,that sunrise craw didn't catch any fish this year and the eyes wanted the 02's. I've never seen a bomber B02 get yellowing of the bill. Later in the season,the eyes turned off from my B02's and only wanted my B04's with the larger bill. The discontinued 4A charteuse craw was the killer last year,and this year until the bills started turning yellow and nothing would touch it til I put on a new one out of the package.. I have 4-5 chart craws sitting in the tacklebox now and seems like that yellow builds up after several hrs of trolling Indian lake. Tried some 6000 grit sandpaper and seems to take off most of it.

Anyone have any imput about this issue? Maybe something in the water turning them yellow after the water warmed up? Maybe something I could spray on them to take off that yellow?

I do troll them along the bottom and maybe picking up something from the mucky bottom. One of my molting craws started to yellow last trip out,but I did manage a few fish on it.

Top pic is slightly used,middle has been buffed. I buffed out the heavier ones,but the bottom is the avg yellowing one:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Would the bills possibly be touching other plastic baits in your tackle box? I had a plastic bait up against my computer keyboard for about a week and now there's a nice impression of the bait on the front edge.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of them touch each other in the trays,but nothing out of the norm like I've been doing for 10+ years in that tacklebox.It's just the last 2 season when speedyr got me hooked onto the B04's and I pm'd him about how his chart craws were looking and his are yellowing as well.

Last couple trips, I could actually see them turn yellow before my eyes as I reeled them in occasionally to pull off weed or check hooks after a snag.New crank out of the box,couple hrs later a very noticeable yellow bill on it. Thought it may have been sunlight til the last one turned yellow with being in the water majority of the time.

It almost looks like an oily sheen on the bill.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Do any other manufacturers bills turn yellow? And its just the one specific size Bomber from what it looks like. Odd to be sure. Has to be something about the plastic I would think. I have had water turn line different colors, but never a bait. My guess as to why they stop hitting the bait once the bill yellows is because it's increasing the profile of the bait. Making it longer. Odd situation that's for sure. I wonder if a VERY light coat of epoxy would stop it?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The B04's are the only ones turning yellow.All my B02's and Flat A B02's are crystal clear. Same with the bandit 100 series,but now I'm getting into the 200 series which have almost identical bills as the B04's. Next year I'll be able to see how the bills fair on those 200 series.

Even my hot redcraw B04 turned yellow and quit catching eyes,but that's the only red one that I have seen turn yellow.Then the eyes really tore up the chart craws and the yellowing was very noticeable. The 02's have a smaller bill and I've got some older ones laying in the tackleboxes with no yellowing.My Flat A B02's have the exact same bill as the model A02's and they're crystal clear as well as well as most of the other non bomber clear lipped cranks in that tacklebox. I used to let the cranks soak in the trays with purple yum and that never discolored the baits.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
That is odd for sure Saugmon. I would think it has to be something with the plastic on that particular bait size. I can't see bill shape having anything to do with it. If you can sand it and it returns to normal it sure sounds like it's not sealed. But you shouldn't have to seal plastic. I wonder if some of that cleaner they advertise for cleaning lead light lenses would clean it off? It worked on a car I used to have that had plastic lenses over the head lights. It would eventually yellow again though.

If not an epoxy to seal them, I wonder if you could dip it in an automotive clear coat to seal them. I use an automotive clear coat on the baits I paint and it holds up great to hooks and bumping into cover n such. Kind of a pain in the butt for just for a couple of baits. But there are times when one bait will catch fish better than another supposedly identical bait. That usually happens more with wooden baits than it does with plastic baits. But I have had it happen with plastic baits as well. Hope you're able to figure out how to stop it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts