close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

yellow jacket nest

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LiquidTension, Oct 13, 2004.

1. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

i'm looking for suggestions to get rid of a yellow jacket nest. :( the nest is in the ground right along my front foundation. they are using a hole about the size of a quarter to enter/exit. there are some other holes of the same diameter a couple feet in either direction, but dont seem to be utilized. i was thinking pour some caustic liquid down there and tamp the whole ground area with something real heavy ( 5 foot pry bar with big ball on end ). of course at night when they're all in there. i'd just hate to open another hole up while tamping and become victim..... seems to be a very established nest, judging by the numbers going in/out.

2. Got a buddy that purchased a home with the same problem. Went round and round with them. He would close the hole in the evening, and it was open in the morning. I think a gallon of gasoline took care of the problem. Or call Orkin or something, probably cost you alot more though!

3. I had one in our yard a couple of years ago. My son, 6 at the time, pointed it out. I waited til dark, sprayed 2 cans of wasp spray in the hole used most often. The next day, I took a shovel to the area. The nest was the size of a basketball. All were dead.
    Less then $10 bucks.

4. you need a fogger! My parents own/run a golf course, so I have access to chemicals the public can't buy :D That being said Lowe's sells foggers and chemicals that take care of this fairly cheap. You might as well buy one - you'll use it in the future I'm sure. Liquids will not work on a ground nest, but foggers will "get-r-done" with 1 quick treatment. I've taken care of 5 such nests this summer around my property. The darn ground hornets nearly killed my 95 lb dog in August. They got on him hard; he couldn't walk or open his eyes for 24 hrs. Vet said just keep an eye on him & in 24 hrs the swelling went away. He sure was sore for the next week though!

5. catking

catking Banned

I echo what Row vs Wade mentioned. Spray a few cans of hornet killer down the hole. Been doing this for years. It works......... CATKING ~**~

6. I am a bit more knowledgable about these pests now than I was earlier this year thanks to my own and my parents problems with bees. What I have been told by several guys is that you don't want to waste your time with spraying wasp and hornet killer chemicals. These are designed to kill on contact and do a very good job killing the ones that it comes in contact with. The problem is that there is a whole nest down there that has guards, drones, queen, and lord knows how many eggs. The contact killer sprays do not damage the nest itself and thus the eggs and larva can survive. What most recommended was Sevin dust in the strongest concentration that you can buy. You sprinkle this dust on the entry point to the nest or use a duster like Fish-N-Fool suggested. Then the travellers will pick up the poison on their legs an wings and carry it down into the nest. This will ensure that it gets to the nest and to the queen and the rest. The Sevin is stron stuff and they claim it will kill them in a day or two if it gets spread inside well enough. My folks tried the aerosol cans about 3 or 4 times before giving in and going this route. Now they have no nest.

7. I usually get two to three ground nest a year as well as several above ground nest sites. Just about any flying insect spray will work but the hornet spray seems to do the best job on the ground nest. I treat them at night then watch the next day for any activity.

8. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

not that you can do this being so close to your house but i pour a galon of gas on the nest and then a line out about 30 foot and set it on fire it gets rid of the bees and its fun :D to but do it early morning or late evening when they are all in their :D .........................jim :D

9. did'nt have ground nests put quite a few of wasps nests around the house that the wife was worried about.If they are reachable take a can of starting fluid it kills on contact.they cant even fly out of the nest. they all crawled out and fell to the ground dead

10. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

...about the size of your fist or larger to put over each hole that you see. Wait until well after dark, then do what any of these suggestions mentioned(except maybe the pyrotechnics :D - you don't need to light it to have it do the job) and place your rocks immediately. Wait 24 hrs. before removing them to make sure.

11. Pouring something down in a ground nest is probably a pretty good idea because it will probable get to all of the nest. I agree with Ruminator though that you would not have to light it to make it work. As was mentioned, that makes it more fun.:D

The Sevin dust becomes a more appropriate option on nests that are in a gable, soffit, etc. of a structure. Obviously gasoline is out of the question at that point. I think that is where the chemicals such as Sevin work very well.

This is the time of the year that the yellowjackets can really be a major pain. Last fall I had a yellowjacket nest form in my basement because they were able to get in below my PVC furnace vent pipe. The installers had not completely sealed this. By the time I had pinpointed where the nest was it was a few days from the point when I noticed a large number of them. When I went downstairs to snuff it out I found a nest about twice the size of a grapefruit up under the insulation.:eek: I hit them with a major dose of wasp/hornet spray all over the nest and that took care of them in a hurry. But boy what a large nest they were creating.

12. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

You can ask Marshal for sure, but he had a small nest and poured boiling water down the opening and it worked for him. It may take a few applications for a larger nest. You HAVE to do it at night for a couple different reasons. Like mentioned above, they all return to the nest. They are also a little easier to deal with and calmer.

Good luck buddy!

13. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

I hate wasps. Ive also had to get rid of a nest but it was actually inside my house by the front door. I set the shop vac up right by the entrance (wedged it) and watched them all get sucked in there. Going out or coming in, they were all getting sucked into the shop vac as they got near it. Then i sprayed bug spray inside the shop vac tub. there must have been hundreds and hundreds of them crawling around (not flying anymore, luckily). They were all dead the next day.

This (pic) wont help you now, but this is a good way to catch strays. Ive caught hundreds of yellow jackets, and a few flies and a lot of ants, but it has never harmed one honey bee.

Just have to be careful if you make something like this. Its just a 2 liter pop bottle, 3/4" or 1/2" pvc, and some silicone. The liquid is Sprite. (best ive tried)
    Have to make a hole in the bottom of each pvc peice to let the wasps in. Make a decent size hole. Once they get in, they very rarely get out but do sometimes. (they want to fly up)

You can leave them set, or you can hang them in a tree.

They die when they get too tired and drown in the pop. Usually there is one live one and the rest are dead when i empty it into the garden and bury them.

Attached Files:

14. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Do what Row v said. that's what we used to do at a major pest control company here. It was an $85.00 charge...back in 1985 when I left that's what they charged. Same procedure, only one can of Bee & Wasp spray was all it took. Wait until after dark- that's because they will all be back in the nest & inactive, then put the nozzle of the can in the hole and empty it. A few strays who didn't make it back that night may show up, but they probably won't stay, and or will be killed by any residue chemical.

15. had a big nest under my awning used 2 cans of spray!!!!!!!!!!! not luck on that so got some sevin dust and a turkey bayster spay it in the crack an whamo no more jackets :D
    mrtwister

16. Salamander

Salamander Thomas T.

OK, after quite a few years of this I have a surefire way to get rid of these critters. I used to use the gasoline trick and everything else but now I have this down to a science.

Here goes...

You will need to get a 5 Gal. bucket and get a bottle of liquid Sevin pesticide from Walmart, Kmart etc. and you will also need a large funnel.

put a really healthy dose of Sevin into the bucket, i will use about 1 cup or so. mix into this about 4-5 gal. of water.

after dark go to the entrance hole in the ground of the bees and put the funnel into the hole and pour the Sevin-water mixture down into the hole. You will be surprised how much you can get in there, usually the whole 4-5 gal.

The liquid Sevin will seep into the ground and Kill the entire nest. if you notice the bees flying around the next day give them another dose that night. usually one will do but I have never had to do this more than twice.

VERY IMPORTANT to do this after dark or you will have a bunch of really pissed off bees to deal with!

Very easy and no explosives or flammables to deal with! :eek:

Good luck,
    Tom

17. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

wow, thanks for the ideas....(pyrotechniques are out ;) too close to wall) :D i'll definately get something with sevin in it.

18. I Did The Hornet Sprayer At Night In The Ground,,havent Saw 1 Since..

19. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I just poored gasoling down the hole when I had that problem, and it took care of it!

20. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Man...all these chemicals... Where do you think they all end up after you put them in the ground? Lakes and streams maybe? And some people wonder why we can't get rid of the fish advisories....

I know nothing about sevin, it may be environmentally friendly, but DO NOT POUR GAS DOWN THE HOLE!!! That's a bad idea. Does anyone in your area have water wells?

Excuse me, I have to go now. I have to change my oil and drain it into the creek and let my airconditioning freon loose into the air. :D