Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
try 2/0 circle hooks and let them hook themselves on the run....

But yeah if they can get it in, they can swallow it. Keep a tight line so youll know when the bite starts and hookset earlier if you using J hooks

Salmonid

·
here kitty kitty!
466 Posts
took my grandaughter (4 yr old) and my daughter (26 yr old) to fish for yellow belly at mogadore couple days ago... had 4/0 circles... it 4 hours we had quite a few bites... all of them had swallowed the hook and only 3 didn't... out of the 3... one was barely hooked in the corner of the mouth, when i touched the hook it fell out... other one was hooked the top of the mouth in the middle... and the last was in the corner ... all together we brought home about 16 to eat... my grandaughter loves to fish... but when it come to eating them.... we have to tell her it's chicken... lol... then she gobbles them up!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I use small 1/0 or smaller hooks, if they can fit it in their mouth at all they will swallow it. The trick is keeping a tight line and setting the hook on the slightest of bites. You may miss a lot of fish setting the hook early, but aren't shy they will come right back lol. Its best to have a good tool for hook removal when targeting them. Its pretty funny though to take a new fisherman fishing for bullhead, hold the fish for them and make them stick their finger in its mouth to get the hook! I've done it to several people over the years and they are always shocked at how hard those little buggers can clamp down, its always hilarious. I swear if those things got as big as flathead or blues, they would crush your hand... lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts