Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
no boat
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone works in the field or could give me some good advice on the correct way to fix a old soggy back yard. We recently moved into a half acre lot with a 1940's block house on a slab and the back yard is in very bad shape. My neighbors on both sides told me that several years ago they both added drainage to their back yards but ours was not done, both of their yards "look" to be about the same level as mine or close to it but ours is very unlevel and has standing water all throughout and is slow draining which looks to me to be more evaporation than draining. The neighbor on one side says his buddy does concrete and is always looking for a yard to dump fill dirt and he said he thinks i need some fill before thinking of topsoil. From what little i know about doing drainage tile I would think the correct way to do it is till and level the yard first, then dig trenches in the backyard, lay gravel in the trenches and preferated tile on top the gravel sloping toward the house and then back fill the trenches and level the back yard with top soil. We do have tile around the house going into the storm drain system I was told (we have 8inch. PVC "stubs" sticking out of the ground by the house with caps on them but I have no idea where they are run) but I dont know where I would tap the back yard tile into it (or if the city would flip out if i did). I also wondered if just leveling out the back yard and adding some top soil may correct the issues and while I appreciate the offer of the free fill I dont want to make a bad problem worse by dumping a bunch of unknown possibly "dirty" fill on top of an already non draining yard. Thanks in advance any thoughts, suggetions or tips as they will be greatly appreciated and again sorry for the long boring story.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Well if your neighbors on both sides of you both have drainage then the simple solution would be just to get your lawn higher than thiers and your water will run to thier yard and drain. They may not care for that idea but it was just a thought!!

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
that's tough without actually seeing the situation.one thing though.you do not want to drain it toward the house as you mentioned(if that's what you meant).you're just asking for more trouble by doing that.grade should always slope away from the house.possibilities are filling/grading to get what slope away you can.cut a swale if possible to drain to lower ground/street(away from neighbors).tile as you mentioned,with a french drain to the street or existing drainage ditch if there is one.if you're not sure,get an excavator to look it over for the best solution.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
the simple solution would be just to get your lawn higher than thiers and your water will run to thier yard and drain. They may not care for that idea but it was just a thought!!
yep,they definitely won't care for that,LOL.and it is illegal;)

·
no boat
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if your neighbors on both sides of you both have drainage then the simple solution would be just to get your lawn higher than thiers and your water will run to thier yard and drain. They may not care for that idea but it was just a thought!!
ROFL ...
l thought of that also bassb, but dont want to provoke the natives 8)
also the one who told me he has the buddy with the the fill is the same one who said, when I asked about the local regs about putting in a stone drive around the side of the house to the back yard, to "do it on the weekend when the inspector isnt working" lol

·
no boat
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's tough without actually seeing the situation.one thing though.you do not want to drain it toward the house as you mentioned(if that's what you meant).you're just asking for more trouble by doing that.grade should always slope away from the house.possibilities are filling/grading to get what slope away you can.cut a swale if possible to drain to lower ground/street(away from neighbors).tile as you mentioned,with a french drain to the street or existing drainage ditch if there is one.if you're not sure,get an excavator to look it over for the best solution.
I get ya misfit about directing the water toward the slab, my thought was to slope it toward the house (on the front 1/3 of the lot) to tie it into the existing storm drain pvc system I was told was in place, or do you think that could backfire on me? I thought if I leveled the back yard and put in the drain tile (not sure what u mean by french) and tied it into the storm drain toward the front of the lot a.) the natives wont scalp me for their new ponds b.) in heavy rains with new top soil for drainage (as opposed to fill dirt) the tile will direct it to the storm drain sytem. Also this is in eastlake where alot of other yards around here seems to have water issues not to mention the flooding last year, I dont want to end up with my slab being a "west virginia houseboat" if the whole storm system backs up

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
"do it on the weekend when the inspector isnt working"
LOL.more great advise:D
zoning cops love it when people do that stuff;)
more money for the city/county,whoever,and more work/cost for you when you have to tear the stuff out:D

·
no boat
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasnt sure if he was just "testing the newbe" or thats how they operate around here. My low tech low budget thought was to pick up a used tiller n at least turn over n level the yard first to improve the natural drainage, maybe get a load of compost first n spread it then turn that in I dont see that hurting anything anyway (sort of a low profile, low tech share the soggy love idea, like bassb's 8) but I dont know much about doing stuffs like this in the city. thanks again everyone I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That is the way to go. On properties I service this problem, I graded the lawn with screen topsoil, install french drains, Plant Kentucky Bluegrass (the best all arround grass, and my favorite too!) When putting down topsoil, I get 30% extra because topsoil looses 30% due to compaction. After topsoil is down, I use a grading rake to level it all out then use rake teeth to cover seeds and fertilizer up. If I had pics, That would greatly help.

Paradise

·
Registered
209 Posts
All good ideas - but no one said .

You don't need tile, the black plastic with the holes in it is fine. All the farmers I know use it, plus most new homes.

Many ways you can do it (AFTER YOU IMPROVE THE GRADE).

100' was 40 bucks last year at Lowes.

I re-did a couple of small sections - but still need to run 150 to get it all done.

You can also get 4" PVC - it will connect with the black - a little stronger and more.

Remember - holes up - landscape fabric or "sock" to keep the silt out.

I'd never run back towards the house if something goes wrong.... Should be able to find it on down stream.

·
no boat
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
talked to neighbor and he is a landscaper/construction guy (not the "do it when the inspector isnt working guy") and he said he wants to do some more to his as well. he said he thinks we could rent the trencher n do the work and it would probably run us 800 each total.
just to clarify, when i said run it toward the house i meant the drainage tile slope to tie into the existing pvc storm drain system around the house that ties into the city storm drain system, or do you all think even doing that could backfire of me? I would think the storm drains should be able to handle the bulk and worse case in an extremely bad situation hopefully it would just backup or stand in the drainage tile (i did mean the plastic preforated stuff).
thanks again for all your advice and suggestions -
"wet willy" lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts