close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yamaha kicker stalling out

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Toxic, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

My 2001 9.9 4 stroke Yamaha stalled out on me 3 time Saturday afternoon. I pulled the choke and it would start. As soon as I turned the choke off, it would stall out again. I started it up today and it ran flawless. I shut her down and restarted it several times and ran it for a few minutes without any problems.

The dealer said the carb has something in it. Any suggestions? He cannot look at it until next week.

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I had the same symptoms with an '01 Evinrude 9.9

It would run fine with the choke on, at times. Other times it would run normal (without choke) all day.

I took it to a reputable marine mechanic, and the carb needed a rebuild kit, plus a small piece of a gasket that had broken off was inside the carb.

About $120 later (which I thought was more than fair), it ran like a top for two years 'till I traded it in on a new one.

3. Same issue here with my old 20hp Merc...

Cost me about $150.00 for the carb rebuild and such...but worth it.

It won't get any better...so get on it now! LOL

4. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

It's in the shop right now. I took it out Sunday to Ashtabula and it stalled out on us 6-7 times. I just hope I have it back in time so I can fish Friday.

5. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Just got it back from the shop. 176.00 later. He said the carb was clogged up pretty bad. He rebuilt the carb and cleaned it up.