Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Trifly
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out the Tarpon 120 this morning for the 1st time this year and boy was it worth it! Paddled (portaged) for 3+ miles upstream then floated back to takeout to avoid the shuttle.
First fish was a 16" Hybrid striper that smashed the popper at first good set of riffles. About a half-dozen casts later the popper was sucked down and the line went tight as the unknown species bulldogged around the slack water. It became apparent in a 3' aerial what this brute was. Another aerial and more head shaking and I beached him. Taped out at 19.5" with the tail compressed. I tried for the FO but his lips wouldn't stretch...
Next set of riffles brought another hybrid at 15.5". All these early fish were caught on a hand-tied chartreuse Blockhead popper.
The rest of the morning settled in with about 10 more smallies and a kentucky bass caught on a purple darter clouser minnow.
Overall a great day to be out on the 2nd last morning of Summer. No shad in yet but with cooler temps and a little rain this Fall bite could be epic...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Man that smallie is huge! The head in that first pic makes it look massive.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I often turn and take pause to admire the soft sloping hillside of the whitewater valley of that first picture. One if my favorite spots on the WWR.
Good write up and great day!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,373 Posts
Very nice fish and info, I hope to be as talented with a fly pole some day. Ive fished the wwr plenty this year and have grown to enjoy the river weather I am on fish or not, I do
appreciate the info on the lures you use, it helps

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nice smallie!!!! and hybrids. Love the WWR. Were you in Indiana or the stretch in Ohio?? I have floated from Brookville down.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
Great post and fish, the only sad part is this being your first outing in your Tarpon 12.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Fish OH or not that thing is huge. It definitely hasn't been missing any meals. I haven't been to the rivers lately but the purple darter clouser has been my best smallie fly in the river. Were you doing slow pops with the popper or popping it quickly across the surface.

·
Trifly
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Streamhawk: I was in the ohio stretch.
Imalt: Mostly fishing riffle water, so I tend to cast slightly upstream just before the dropoff then pop it back to me at an erratic pace. Maybe a few quick pops then pause then one long pull underwater. I just mix it up until I find what they like. In slower moving water or still pools I let the popper sit much longer - sometimes just twitching it in place. That purple clouser is my go to for ALL species - Drum, Channel Cats, Saugers, White bass, and even Brown trout up in Brookville.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts