close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yakima rack noise?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dingo, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Dingo

Dingo

Just installed a single Yakima rack on my pickup (q-towers) for carrying a canoe. Noticed quite an increase in noise at highway speeds without the canoe loaded. Anyone have any luck with the products to reduce the noise? One costs around 15 bucks and slips over the bar between the towers. The other is around 50 bucks, and is a larger piece that goes from the bar to the roof of the truck. Don't want to buy the lower priced one if it isn't going to make enough of a difference.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I have a yak rack (double cross) and used to sell them when I managed a ski shop. The best way to reduce the drag/noise is by using a fairing. Look on Ebay for em, as they are much cheaper online than you'll pay in a store. The fairing also gives you a PERFECT spot for an OGF sticker :D

One word of caution though. If you carry canoes/yaks/hardshell luggage/ski carries, take the fairing OFF. The fairing angles oncoming wind up over the bars, and will force the air against whatever you are carrying. Large bulky items like those combined with a fairing will act like a sail, and put a ton of stress on the rack and item you're carrying. I've seen guys have wind rip racks off the car because of that.