close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

XP upgrade ??

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by mrfishohio, Apr 14, 2005.

1. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I just uploaded a big upgrade my automatic notifier told me of. I used the "express" method. This was yesterday. It said it would take effect upon restart. When I restarted, I got a blue screen, that said something about scanning & checking drives (5 of them I think) and it took several hours. Not sure how long, but It was at least 2-3 hours, maybe more, I just left & came back & it was still going. Took so long I thought it froze up for a minute, until it did show a percentage. Seems like that was after about 3 hours it was at 46% of the 4th thing it was going thru. :confused: Anyway, after that was over & I got logged in, I get another notice of more upgrades, so I download it & restart, this one only took a minute & the restart was quick, no big delay like the other. :D
    Okay, here's my question, what the heck was it, it seemed like it was doing a defrag or something. My computer is running much smoother & quicker today. I had also deleted a bunch of junk as I was running out of space on my 120GB harddrive I was down to about 5.7GB and got up to 16GB free, then I ran the compression feature & wound up with 18GB free this AM after it ran all night (that was a time consumer too)
    Someone told me there was a new upgrade, I told him it was running as we spoke. I'm just curious what it did, I never had one take so long to install upon restart. I did the Service Pack last month or whenever that was recently too. :confused:

2. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

Mine did an update tuesday night. I remember seeing somewhere that Microsoft will put there updates up once a month on the 2nd tuesday of the month. It went pretty quickly but I have noticed that my mouse back and forward button has to be re setup every time I start my computer. Don't know if it's from that or just coincidence. I've updated drivers and that didn't help.
    If you go to the Microsoft update page and look at your history of updates, it will tell what was installed. Here is what was installed tuesday on mine.
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2005 (KB890830) Successful Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Security Update for Windows XP (KB893066) Successful Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB890923) Successful Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Security Update for Windows XP (KB893086) Successful Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859) Successful Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 Successful Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Your friend may be talking about the Next Version of XP called "Longhorn" that was supposed to be out sometime in '05 but is way behind and not expected till '06 or '07 now. Here is an article about it. http://news.com.com/Microsoft+revamps+its+plans+for+Longhorn/2100-1016_3-5327150.html

3. EDD

EDD BASS BUM

sounds like error checking on your hard drive-when it has not been done for awhile and you have alot on you drive it takes a long time. it's in my computer under tools with defrag

4. The blue screen you saw is called autocheck which is similar to checkdisk in previous versions. It can run in two modes online and offline. Due to the way the NTFS file system works an offline check is required in some cases. For example the NTFS file sysem protects directories very strongly. You can move a folder through explorer, but you are only moving a directory pointer. In order to physically move a folder on the disk, it must be done in blue screen mode. These restrictions apply to a defrag operation as well. Most commercial defrag programs for NT, 2k and XP have a blue screen mode to optimize items that require them to by physically moved on the disk. the other times you can see that is if the system detects the volume wasn't unmounted cleanly like due to improper system shutdown (dirty volume in unix running fsck) or if you manually request it using the autocheck command. Why you would get an offline disk check because of an update is beyond me just as is why it would take so long to complete.

5. mrfishohio

Okay, thanks, it seemed strange to me, I think it was an error check. I seem to recall it asked me or said it would do it upon reboot. It was a blue screen with the Window's XP in the top right corner & a bunch of stuff saying what it was doing and the percentage completed. There was about 5 areas it was checking and the percentages took a long time to click off. I'm estimating 30 seconds or so. Anyway, it took hours and anything else usually only takes a few moments. When it was done, I entered my password & it came up as normal & then also had more upgrades, which seemed very odd as I had just completed the upgrade, selecting the "Express"(recommended) mode.

6. Part of the package that went out automatic update this week sounds good --->Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2005 (KB890830)
    After the download, this tool runs once to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and automatically helps remove any variants found. After it runs, the tool is deleted from your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center or run an online version from microsoft.com. In addition to using this tool, you should use an up-to-date antivirus product to help protect your computer from other malicious software.

7. mrfishohio

Yes, I remember that was part of it....Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

8. mrfishohio

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2005 (KB890830) Successful Wednesday, April 13, 2005 Automatic Updates
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB893066) Successful Wednesday, April 13, 2005 Automatic Updates
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB890923) Successful Wednesday, April 13, 2005 Automatic Updates
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB893086) Successful Wednesday, April 13, 2005 Automatic Updates
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859) Successful Wednesday, April 13, 2005 Automatic Updates
    Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1

So I guess that's what it was, the software removal tool.
    Whatever it did, it worked good...... :)

9. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I just downloaded and installed those same programs, took less than 5 minutes for everything..Maybe it did not work right for me?