close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

XP SP2 Thoughts....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShakeDown, Sep 2, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Anyone else install Windows XP Service Pack 2 yet? I threw it on my wife/kid's machine (that's my test environment :D) and haven't noticed any of the "incompatibility" issues yet. Was wondering if anyone else was running it, and noticed anything sketchy. Definitely seems to lock down the machine on the surface.

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i got it 2 days ago..so far its a smooth ride.. :) no lock down..

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Is it good or Bad Shake?

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Dale...it's supposed to fix numerous security holes/flaws/exploits that make Windows XP vulnerable to hijacks, viruses, hacks, and spyware. My only concern, is that it supposedly locks down your pc to the point that many 3rd party softwares (virus scanners, etc..) won't function. I haven't run into that myself, but then again it's pretty early to tell for sure.

5. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

I installed SP2 a few days ago. No problems here (Yet). Hopefully there won't be any either. ;)

6. I haven't installed it yet so I have no opinion at this point! I'm pretty happy with the way XP Pro works now and performs. I almost hate to mess with it because if it screws something up, it takes way too long for me to redo my system. I'm gonna keep tabs though on this thread to see what you guys think before I jump!

7. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I've heard it's a mixed bag. I'm holding off awhile personally.

8. Salamander

Salamander Thomas T.

I installed SP2 about 2 weeks ago and so far everything is running smooth. I have Norton antivirus and Zone alarm pro running and they are doing fine.