X-Box & TV in Car ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Capt.Muskey, May 22, 2008.

1. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

My son wants to wire his X-Box and TV into his car. He tried using a double power outlet plug, and the X-Box powered up. But when he added the TV to the connection, the power went off on the X-Box.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to run both X-box and TV off a 12 volt car system?? and if so, how does one connect it?
    Any info would help, Thanks :)

2. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Seems to me, he woulD have to get a larger inverter, or lower wattage lcd screen. I have an inverter that plugs into a power point, but it's only 300watts. They do go bigger, I would check with a car audio customizer/installer.

3. Capt.Muskey

Thanks Sam,
    I'm checking with a audio installer this weekend. Maybe an inverter is the answer, if it's not too costly.

4. fishinrudy

fishinrudy Part time fisherman

The Xbox is around 130 watts continuous and a near 150 at startup. The TV is going to be anywhere from 150-300 and may be more at startup. A 600 W inverter would probably do the trick, or instead of spending the money on a bigger inverter, you may be able to purchase a car monitor(headrest model or similar) for less than a 600 watt inverter.

Something similar to this
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs..._ID:2011630&productId=2011630&catalogId=10101

5. I would go the inverter route also. When I take long trips I have a 750 watt inverter (that cost about 50-75$) that will run a ps2 13" tv and dvd player no problem. Just make sure not to leave it on while the vehicle is off !!!!!

6. Capt.Muskey

Just picked up a Cobra 800 watt continuous inverter, Hoping to hook it up tomorrow and see what happens. Found it at the Short Stop truck stop passing through Warren today. $69. bucks. Thanks for the advice all, I'll let ya know how it works.

7. Capt.Muskey

Up-date, The New inverter works Great! He's running a 19" color TV and his X-Box, without any problems. Thanks for the info guys.

8. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Please tell him this is not good substitue for talking on the cell phone or texting while driving! :p

9. zipperneck52

zipperneck52 fished with Noah

sooo, what does he say to the guy who's been tailgating him for 75 miles, screaming like a banshee cause he missed some bonus points for the game????;)