close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WVa ATV park and fishing ??

Discussion in 'ATV's' started by creekwalker, Oct 11, 2007.

1. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

My dad wants to head to WVa to camp and fish and we were going to take the quads too. I did a little online searching and found the Hatfield and McCoy trails. Does anyone know of any other trails in WVa where there's decent fishing nearby?

I'd prefer to stay in western WVa since I'll be coming from Cincy. I love the New and Greenbrier River areas, but its a haul for me to get there and we'll only be going for a weekend or maybe 3 days.

CW

2. the coal river,,,,mud river guyandotte rivers are fairley close try www.wvdnr.gov
    Im not sure of any atv friendly trout streams.

3. creekwalker

Thanks, I'll take a look. I think one of the H&M trails was along the Coal River. I'm mostly looking for smallie fishing anyway.

CW

4. I'm telling you what - my wife and I just came back last friday from Logan, WV........and what a blast we had!

We packed up both bikes and headed down there last tuesday - 10/9 and rode wed/thurs and came home Friday. We had an absolute BLAST!!!! I would go back in a heartbeat!

We easily rode 100 miles on Wed (not a good thing - wife was sore and wanted to sell her bike on the drive back to the hotel! haha) we rode Browning Fork on Wed and Dingess Rum on thurs. We had a city connector that we could ride right from our hotel to the trail system......didn't have to trailer the bikes on thurs. We did on wed to hit browning fork though.

Definately a fun time!!!

5. creekwalker

Well, our trip fell through, my brother had to work the next couple of weekends. Maybe we'll get it together in the spring.

Skarfer, what kind of fishing is near logan?

CW

6. I have no idea about the fishing - though on Hatfield & McCoy's website it says there's alot............we were too busy riding to worry about fishing!!!

7. Creekwalker, I grew up and worked in the Logan / Mingo County area and have fished the rivers all my life.(I'm 63) You will find no better smallmouth fishing anywhere. The Guyandotte in Logan County is very good fishing. And the Tug Fork River in Mingo County is absolute tops for Smallmouth, it is also the least poluted stream in the state. The Tug Fork is probably W.Va.'s best kept fishing secret. You are able to wade most of both rivers or use a small jonboat or canue. Best areas I have found on the Guyandotte are between Man and Logan. Best for Tug is hard to say but between Nolan and Kermit would probably be tops. I also ride ATV on the trails down there and you won't find better anywhere. There are also hundreds of miles of trail off the Hatfield McCoy system. If you decide to go down shoot me a PM and I will give you the location of some of my personal favorite locations on both rivers. There are also some excelent Coyote,bobcat and fox hunting in those areas
    john

8. creekwalker

Deadwood, thanks for the info. I'd heard about the tug fork on another post, sounds like a good spot. I'll PM you when we get closer to getting the trip together...thanks.

CW

9. Damn Deadwood! I didn't realize there was such good sm fishing down there! Of course, we were too busy riding to worry about fishing - but definately will keep that in mind for our future trips down there!

By the way, it was absolutely gorgeous down there - the views were amazing! BUT - honestly, what is there to do down there (make a living) unless you're working in the mines?? Wow.......that just blew me away. Those towns are totally dependant on the mines.

Amazed me too - the semi drivers and how they navigate those small, tight, twisty roads.......scared me in my truck - I can't imagine how they do that day in and day out.

10. Skarfer. most of the better paying jobs in that area are coal mining or mining related. I worked in mines 14 years in Wv and 20 in Ohio, now retired. I go back down there trail riding and fishing or hunting a couple times a month and still haven't rode all the trails.

11. We rode Browning fork - just about all the greens and some blues on that wed and then only rode about 3 hours of the dingess rum on thurs. We liked Dingess rum better - we had more fun on those trails! My wife actually climbed a pretty decent hill - impressed me and the 4 dirt bike riders that couldn't make it up there!!!! HAHA!! I said, "well, that's my girl!" and had to take off after her!

12. my mom is from man and dad is from van so i have fished alot around man and logan its really good nice trails to ride also