close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WV rivers (New, Gauley, Kanawha) help

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by creekwalker, Jul 11, 2007.

1. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

I'm looking for a some vacation location advice...and I'm mainly after smallies, but will also fish for trout occasionaly.

We're thinking about taking a camping trip to WV next month. I've been to the New several times (mostly below Bluestone dam) and to the Greenbrier a few times near Watoga State Park (great place). I'd like to try a different location this year and was thinking about the confluence of the New and Gauley rivers and on down the Kanawha. Does anyone have any advice about that area....or better suggestions?

If the New, Greenbrier and/or Gauley rivers are hands down the best places to fish, then I'd probably just stick with those (further up the Gauley and New).

CW

2. Will you be using a canoe or yak? A few miles up stream, on the New, above Gauley Bridge there is some great small mouth action. The Hydro plant is located there and above the Hydro plant gets very little fishing pressure. You can wade this area but you had better be a stout swimmer and rock climber. And do not try to swim the river where the hydro jets are emptying. If you have a canoe you can paddle from the camp ground, just south of hydro plant, there with ease. I use to fish this area a good bit and would almost never see anyone above the hydro plant.

3. creekwalker

Yak most likely. If my dad goes, I might be in a canoe.

How populated is the area around the campground (by WV standards :D)? Which campground are you talking about? The one I was looking at was New River Campground (owned by the Paralyzed Veterans Assoc or something).

Thanks for the info Walter.

CW

4. I do not know who owns it. It is on the new river just above Gauley Bridge and before you get to the Hydro plant. Not much in the way of population and most of that is cat fisherman. You can get into some monster cats there at the hydro plant. Also below the falls, you can not miss them, there is some good eye action at times. I have thought about heading down there just for the day. My best smallies from the New have came from above the Hydro to the dam at Hawks nest.

When are you heading down? I have a few people heading down the 1st weekend of August to my family's cabin on the Greenbrier. We will be floating the Hinton section of the New that weekend.

5. creekwalker

Looks like we might be going to Land Between the Lakes instead. My parents aren't going to be able to go with us, so we're going in the other direction...but it would be that weekend, the first weekend in August through the following weekend. I'd like to see the wicket dams before they remove them from the Ohio River and its not far from LBTL.

I'd be up for a weekend trip, preferrably a long one (Thur-Fri) some other time with a few guys from OGF if you want to try to get one together. How long of a drive from Cincy? We we're figuring 4.5+ hours.

Thanks again for the info.

CW

6. Creekwalker, I would defintely want to go on a weekend trip. I am self employeed and pretty flexible. I have always wanted to fish the New but I don't know the area and can't get anyone to go. I could take my yak or canoe or just take both. Let me know if you set something up for a weekend trip. Ronnie

7. If you are after Smallmouth in "West by Gosh" Virginia you can't beat the Tug Fork, from Williamson area down to the Kermit area. A great river for a canoe.
    It is probably the most under fished river in the state. The Guyandotte River around the Logan area is also very good Smallmouth water, it too is under fished.
    If you ride an ATV both those areas have hundreds of miles of public ATV trails.

8. Lets do it, I just want to fish some trophy smallie rivers. It is just that the New is the one you hear about the most. Are the rivers deep or shallow. Ronnie

9. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Deadwood. I have never heard of another soul talk about the Tug out side of the area. Not pristine like other areas of the state but shear size of small mouths is a well kept secret. I grew up just south of there on the Big Sandy. Another great over looked cat river.

Crocodile sent you a pm about my trip I have planed.

10. creekwalker

Deadwood, that sounds awsome and I do ride an ATV but never thought about taking it!

What rivers would everyone be interested in for a trip? So far on this post we have the New, Greenbrier, Gauley, Guyandotte, and Tug Fork. After we get a little feedback here, maybe we'll start a new thread for an OGF trip.

CW

11. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

depending on the timing of the trip, I will go. I am going to be free from Aug 24th to about Sept. 20th with one week out of that for a Canada trip and one weekend for Army drill.