WTB spinning rod

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by All Eyes, Dec 29, 2008.

1. All Eyes

All Eyes

0   0   0

Just got a new Stradic FI 2500 reel for Christmas and want a nice rod for it. Looking for a one piece 6'6" or 7 footer in ML power, fast action. St. Croix, Loomis, Falcon, Fenwick, are a few that I like. Let me know what you have.

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

0   0   0

I like St. Croix rods, I just don't like St. Croix.
    Loomis...overpriced.
    Falcon-made in USA and my 15 year old rods are still going strong. Reasonably priced too.
    Fenwick- No idea. Never used one. seem pricey though. $120-150

3. cramerk

cramerk

0   0   0

Cant go wrong with a St. Croix Avid 6'6" good all around rod for all species of fish. Fenwick HMG(the higher end) has been great for me also for the last 3 years plus both brands mentioned have lifetime warranties.

4. 1roofmusky

1roofmusky

0   0   0

Stick with the St.croix. Their customer/product support is second to none! They also have a gold star upgrade program that allows you to upgrade your current model if your fishing needs/income changes. Fenwick has sold out to an overseas co. within the last few years-they used to be one of the best. I have many st croix muskie rods and they're my favorites! I also have a ten year old Fenwick HMG(pre-buyout) thats a good rod too! You'll pay more now but it will stand the test of time. Good luck,Gabe :B

5. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

0   0   0

Excellent all-around spinning rod: St. Croix Model PS76MLF (7'6" Medium Light, 1 piece) or a PS70MF (7' Medium). It really depends on what you usually throw when fishing. If you throw small to average size lures, the 7'6" ML would be my #1 choice. Not to metion, for $110, you get a sweet guarantee. Check out the rod specs here:

http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/default2.asp?rodname=36

6. All Eyes

All Eyes

0   0   0

Thanks guys. I have the St. Croix PS70MF and like it pretty well. It is from a few years back and I mostly use it now for my river rod as I'm not the most gazelle like when my feet come out from under me.:p I just thought I would put feelers out on a nice used 7 ft. Medium Light rod before I go do something expensive again. If anyone hears of any good deals drop me a line. Thanks! John

7. Stauff

Stauff

0   0   0

Ok, so if you're considering a new St. Croix, you're probably looking in the $150 range for an Avid model. Why not look into some of the hand-built custom rods that many LOCAL guys are making? I took this route a few years ago, as I really didn't want to spend $150 on another rod. I ran into Brian Althouse of Feathercast Rods (www.feathercast.com) and bought my first custom rod for much less than a St. Croix. After fishing that one season almost exclusively with that custom rod, I knew there would be additional models to follow! I've never spent as much on one of these custom rods as I would have on a comparable St. Croix, which has allowed me to purchase rod #2....... and #3 ....... and #4! There are lots of local guys building a quality stick - take a look around and consider supporting the locals. You'd be doing yourself a favor with a quality rod that can't be beat.

8. cramerk

cramerk

0   0   0

also if u want to look at custome made rods, contact captain scott from this site. he has a relative that makes the best rods that I have ever used. I believe I used one of his that was made with a G loomis blank. Rod was amazing.

9. All Eyes

All Eyes

0   0   0

Interesting. I may have to look into going that route. Thanks again guys

10. 1roofmusky

1roofmusky

0   0   0

What kind of warranty/support do those custom rods come with?
    *I backed over the top section of my St.Croix Wild River noodle rod and they replaced that section for $22.

11. charliewalleye

charliewalleye

0   0   0

I have 6-6 one piece G LOOMIS medium action SJR spinning rod I have a thread
    under charliewalleye G LOOMIS. 937-244-3866 before 9 pm or chuckbeller@yahoo.com
    will sell for a good deal chuck!

12. HappySnag

HappySnag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

All Eyes
    what about to bild your own rod,www.jannsnetcraft.com has blanks and kits to build your own rod,if you get in to that i would like to be arond if you bilding the rod,can we find who wil give us aprentise how to build your own rod,St. Croix warantee is 5 years on moust rods.

snag

13. charliewalleye

charliewalleye

0   0   0

still have 6-6 g loomis glx spin rod ex. deal awaits charliewalleye thamks!