close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WTB: Outboard Motor Bolts

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by awides, Aug 8, 2008.

1. awides

awides

0   0   0

I'm adding a kicker to my boat--used Merc. However, the genius who had it before me took a hack saw to the bolts (with the metal pads on the end) you turn-in to mount to the transom. So, now I have a good motor, but it will ruin anything I try to mount it to due to the jagged mounting bolts.

So, wondering if anyone has an old Merc laying around that would sell me the two bolts. Or, anyone know where I could start looking for replacements? I've called many marinas and looked endlessly online and found nothing!

Thanks for the ideas!

2. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

0   0   0

Did you try Bridges Boats in Akron?
    They are great source for used parts.

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

0   0   0

put a sheet metal or aluminum buffer plate of 1/16 or 1/8 inch in between the ragged bolts and your transom?

4. Rednek

Rednek "The Widow's Son"

0   0   0

Wonder why the bolts were cut-off?

Maybe it had an outboard motor lock and the guy who cut them off was not the keeper of the keys??

5. awides

awides

0   0   0

I'll try Bridges--I've heard good things. As far as the motor lock goes, didn't seem like the fellow was sharp enough to conjure that one up! :) Looking to pet her on a kicker mount, and not directly on the transom, so I don't know how effective the aluminum buffer would be (that was my first thought).

6. shark59er

shark59er

0   0   0

Check some different C clamps, maybe cut and weld or something.

Shark

7. Knopper76

Knopper76

0   0   0

LOL good point that the travelling man is making. Perhaps you should check to make sure your not in possession of stolen equipment.

8. Angler ss

Angler ss

0   0   0

I agree it could be stolen. But lets try and think positve maybe the small plates on the end of the bolt would not clear a thick transom so the genius cut them off to gain say 1/8-1/4 of an inch. A friend of mine bought a brand new 15hp motor it would not fit on his transom so he had the back mount plate on the motor ground down just a fuzz so the motor would fit the transom.

9. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

0   0   0

I had to grind/file carefully on my '92 Johnson 9.9 kicker to get it to fit the transom on my Triton.

10. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

0   0   0

i might have some for an electric trolling motor ,out in the garage . think they would be the same thread size?

11. awides

awides

0   0   0

Honestly, I don't think it was stolen. I believe he had it securely screwed (fully threaded) into the wood of his transom. I took the lower unit apart this weekend and there is a lot of rust at the base of the drive shaft at the impeller. I cracked the water pump in half trying to get the rust to budge--so, don't know what the fate of this 'lil guy's gonna be. Still can't get the impeller/water pump to break free without potentially damaging the drive shaft.

I have tried the bolts from several of my trolling motors--they're all too small.

Thanks to all for the offers, thoughts and suggestions!

12. fowltalk

fowltalk Banned

0   0   0

sounds like a 60's merc u gots there.....the easiest/cost effective remidy for the transom bolts would to buy 2 washers of that size/thickness, take the motta to your local bodyshop/mechanic or anybody with a mig welder. the hole in the washer will already act as the plug weld to the bolt....5 min & she's done.......those ol merc impellers always have rust at the base of the driveshaft. penetrating oil & a hammer/chissel will work it free.