Wrong place/Wrong time! Hoover...

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Slabs!, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Slabs!

Slabs! Multispecies Journeyman

As of last year I gave up on Hoover as there are always way too many people in my favorite spots and I seem to catch nothing but little crappies in those places. One of the spots that used to produce, no longer produces anything. Long story short, I went to one of said spots and it started out very promising. First cast....BAM! 13" white bass. Next cast.....BAM!! 11" black crappie. For the next 2 hours I continued to catch fish one after another. The only bad thing is that they were all 5" to 7" crappies. I'm sure I caught at least 50 of them. I was getting them every cast and sometimes two at a time. Yeah, I'm done with Hoover until I get a boat. I mean it was fun, but it's a lot more fun when they have some size to them. I wish somebody would go to Hoover and work on cleaning out all those little ones. Oh wait, there are a few people already doing that. Heard a rumor of some folks leaving with 6 buckets overflowing with fish before I got down there. Should have listened to my gut instead of a friend.

2. So wait. Your complaining about having a tight line every cast and catching 50 crappie?
    I know alot of bank fishers there that will put anything that is 6 inches in their bucket. I wish the rangers would check the bank fishers harder.

3. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

This is something been speakin of for years about the dinks and the mass amounts of very small crappies kept.:) Hoover has a cycle of years of short fish then slabs but this time ive yet to see it rebound fully there still a few 9 and up but they roam in much smaller schools then the dinks.

Agree wit u compared to other years ive seen way more people in all spots that produce. Some of these spots are dead now to;) See anglers leave wit buckets full of dinks :( Sooner or later hoover needs to join the list of those lakes wit the 9inch and up rule. In my time at hoover if your catchin dinks there wont be no slabs wit them. Moving is the only way to find and stay on the smaller schools of slabs.

4. Slabs!

Yeah, seems kinda strange, doesn't it, that I would complain about catching fish one after another. Like I said, It was fun, but I just wish they had more size to them. The spot I'm talking about you can go there almost any day and catch them one right after another. I get tired of catching dink fish, but I don't think I've ever been bored with catching slabs! I sat down the last hour I was there and continued to catch them one right after another. BORING! I hear ya Starcraft! That's why I said until I get a boat or hitch a ride....I'm not going to Hoover any more. I know when I was younger the crappies were always right around 8 inches, not 5 or 6". I would also hope the 9" limit gets put in place very soon, but I doubt they will enforce it anyway. If they really wanted to bust people I could point em out from a mile a way every day at all the places I go to, including Alum, Delaware, Deer Creek, all of which already have the limit in place!!! If I can see it. Why can't the rangers? I was told that these folks had well over 300 fish. SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you have to remember there is no minimum size or creel limit on on almost all species in hoover,so unless all those 6 inch fish are bass or saugeyes,they're not breaking any laws.

disclaimer........................the above is not meant to condone or condemn,but merely to point out the facts.

6. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

:p yea it gets kinda old after u catch a few hundered. Try targetin diffrent fish thats what im doing. SM LM catfish need some slab action the whitebass are huge in hoover.:)

7. Slabs!

Mis, wasn't commenting on the legality at Hoover, just the atrocity. I wouldn't care one bit if they kept all those little ones if it seemed to be helping the population, but I've noticed my catch get smaller and smaller in size over the years. Maybe it's just the increased pressure that has sent the slabs into hiding and I do know where they hide, but I don't like to fish right on top of and next to twenty other people. Kinda hard to target those species without a boat Starcraft! ;) I fish for a lil' bit of everything, but I just love pulling out a bunch of big silversided Slabs! I C&R 99% of the time, even if I am catching big ones. The white bass get boring too after so many. Caught 2 yesterday actually, forgot one. There's no challenge in catching white bass. Good way to get someone hooked on fishing, but just as boring as catching 50 dink crappie in my opinion.

8. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

is there a minimum size limit on saugeye in hoover?

9. Garyoutlaw77

Garyoutlaw77 Rough Fish Ambassador

I feel ya Slabs, catching a boat full is great fun but weeding through the dinks gets old when your fishing Panfish (like Sandusky Perch)

Also for the sake of quality fisheries I think we need to have creel limits not size limits on all sport Fish in public waters

but that also boils down to we need someone to enforce the rule as well..

10. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

No, but you are limited to 6 fish.

11. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

oh yea. haha I knew that. :p

/only keeps saugeye over 15"

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

what goat said.
    other than that,there's a 12 inch minimum and 5 fish creel limit on bass,and the new limits on minimum size for cats.
    no other limits on hoover.

13. I don't think you need to have the small crappie cleaned out to get to the big ones. If the dinks get eaten at 6" to 8", they don't have a chance to get to a respectable size.

There is enough food in Hoover to support the crappie. They are not stunted, they are just kept before they get big.

Joel

14. Capital outdoorsman

Capital outdoorsman day late, dollar short

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i doubt it's a problem of stunting,but i also don't think keeping the small ones really a factor either.crappies are cyclic,and some years the sizes better on average than others.i suspect spawning success from year to year is a big factor in that picture.i'm not sure,but this year may be one of those year classes that doesn't produce large numbers of fish,therefore showing a decrease in numbers of bigger fish in a few years.
    while i don't keep smaller fish,i seriously doubt the population can be hurt by those who do.hoover is home to a bazillion crappies of all year classes,even though the the numbers of bigger ones may be lower in some years,due to factors totally unrelated to keeping smaller ones.

16. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

I don't think anyone could catch enough crappie (legally) at Hoover to really hurt the population. Crappie are prolific breeders and voracious eaters. A few less in the lake might benefit other game fish via less competition for the same food sources. If you want to keep a 5" crappie at Hoover, you'll hear no gripes from me - in fact I would applaud your filet-ing skills. :D

17. Slabs,
    Maybe the crappie spawn in that spot happened a month earlier and you should have been there sooner. Or maybe for some reason they just completely changed there location of where they were going to spawn this year. If you continued to catch dinks in that spot and changed up a handful of times what you were offering to them then you should have went looking for a new spot.
    I had almost the same thing happen to me this past weekend at Alum. I started out fishing with minnows and right off caught several dinks cast after cast. I switched to a liitle tube jig and started slamming the big females. I was only on the water for a few hours and had a live well full of nice crappie and was actually releasing nice crappie because I already had my live well full.

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

snyd makes a good point.i might add that a lot of the crappies have spawned by now,and the females will have moved off the beds.that leaves the males gaurding nests.if you getting smaller fish,they are possibly/probably mostly males.earlier in the season,larger fish weren't hard to find in most spawning areas,and can still be found,but most will have vacated the nests.

19. A question for those that think angler harvest has no impact on the fish population. If Alum and Delaware are managed for bigger crappies and they have a 9" size limit, do you think the fisheries people at the ODNR think people keeping smaller fish has an impact on the number of big fish?

Joel