close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Would you eat fish out of the Scioto?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RWBlue, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Would you eat fish out of the Scioto?

Yes, no
    Please explain

I am thinking about an epic canoe trip and that means eating the fish or packing more food.

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

NO.

Explanation- I catch and release, that is when I catch something..But if I was hungry yes I would eat a fish from the scioto.

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Couldn't pay me enough to :D

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Jack,

You know all of the things that are in there, I'd have to be mighty hungry.

5. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Im with Shakedown...ya cant pay me enough money to eat any fish from that water.

Scioto is know as Columbus's sewer...read the ODNR site...they tell you NOT to eat many species from this water all the way to the Ohio river.

You have buisness that run sewers to this water, the CITY of Columbus runs pipes to this river, too many companys run who knows what into this river...sewage treatment plants run off, fertalizer company, Columbus and Southern power uses water to cool machines, then spits it back out........has'nt anyone ever noticed theres a very defined "smell" to the Scioto river compared to other waters?? I personally like the smell because when i smell it i know im on a big fish ....proved it time and time again.

6. North of O'Shaughnessy Reservoir yes. South of it no.

7. Thanks, that is what I thought.

If I do it I will have to pack the food in.

8. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

The Scioto is cleaner than some bodies of water...like Lake Ponchatrain for example. That water is going to be messed up for a long time!

9. lol My bath water after a long hard day at work is cleaner than Lake Ponchatrain, so whats your point. Bottomline. I won't eat anything out of the Scioto PERIOD. I have thought about catching fish up by Oshea to eat, but can't bring myself to doing it. I know part of it is because I practice C&R, but the other is I know this ISN'T the first city that river passes through, and while I can bring myself to wade it, I can't bring myself to eatting anything out of it.

10. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i haven't eaten anything from the scioto in YEARS.but,i gotta admit that when i was young we gigged alot of frogs from it but,it was alot cleaner then.

11. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I would pass on any fish from the Scioto. If I had to eat any it would not be any channel cat or bottom feeders. If you really want to get your food while floating, you could shoot some squirrels on your trip down the river and roast those tuff suckers on the campfire. It would be about like eatin shoe leather, but it would be safer than eatin the fish :D