Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been the worst year of perch fishing we ever experienced.

Not only has it been tough to get out onto the the lake (rain/winds/waves/extreme temps/vacation) but when we do get a chance to go out we are skunked, just like today. 3 fishing/3 perch....all babies...but plenty of white bass and sheephead. Every boat we contacted had the same problem with perch lockjaw. The NE winds and 2-5 footers forced us off the lake after only 2 hours.

Perching this year sucks for us. I hope things improve.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
where were you fishing? heard great reports earlier at lorain. I<M going to avon point in the morning, first time I,ve ever been there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was debating on going out to the point tomorrow too but it is the girlfriends birthday :) also the weather reports have been off... Called for less than 2ft this afternoon/evening and its definitely white capping out there lol.

Good luck tomorrow morning!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
the way I see the weatherman is he,s right on!! [never right gives him a good score], LOL its a long haul from canton but I,m retired got the time. and it,ll be some place new.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where were you fishing? heard great reports earlier at lorain. I<M going to avon point in the morning, first time I,ve ever been there.

Got a report of perch in 42 fow off the 2nd water tower east of the Vermilion River, then moved to the condos in 38 fow as someone here or another site reported catching perch. Then tried off Sherod Park in 36 fow.

This almost constant NE blow is making perching difficult.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I was debating on going out to the point tomorrow too but it is the girlfriends birthday :) also the weather reports have been off... Called for less than 2ft this afternoon/evening and its definitely white capping out there lol.

Good luck tomorrow morning!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Not sure what wind report you count on but my source forecasted 10-15 mph outta N- NE. That translates to about 3 footers. This was for the Cleveland area.

·
beagleboss
158 Posts
we have been doing well on perch in 43' west of the hump northwest of airport. have not been out since big storms . hope they are still there !

·
Registered
25 Posts
i never go fishing for perch when there is a north/northeast wind. I have been out several times this summer fishing out of Vermilion in front of the condos (east) in 36-40 ft of water and have caught my limit every time. i never go out unless there is a south/southeast wind. Sometimes its hard to stay at home on a sunny day but when the wind is blowing out of the north, its just not worth the time. theres plenty of time left this year for you to still catch some Jumbos. be patient and watch the wind patterns.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even though I am retired I never seem to be able to catch a free day with southerly winds unless my wife wants to take the boat out to go to our swimming hole.

You have to admit that overall this has been a pretty crappy late Spring and Summer for boating unless you like being on the lake in 90 degree temps with ultra high humidity.

Ironically, according to Tom at Romps this has been a record year for them due to the incredible walleye fishing/catch so far this year.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Not sure what wind report you count on but my source forecasted 10-15 mph outta N- NE. That translates to about 3 footers. This was for the Cleveland area.
The wind this morning in our back yard was sw as were the waves on our pond. We live within 10 miles from the lake.

I checked several webcams near Vermilion, all of which showed a fishing friendly (no caps) lake.

I also checked several weather programs last night all of which showed favorable winds.

I guess I need to start monitoring other sites.

What do you guys recommend?

BTW: You have to admit this has been on heck of a lousy boating season weatherwise.

·
Registered
664 Posts
[QUOTE =

BTW: You have to admit this has been on heck of a lousy boating season weatherwise.[/QUOTE]

Second that one. You aren't only one this year who has gone up to decent forecast only to be blown off. I'm semi retired but seems this year part time work and decent weather and days off are never in sinc. We sure have seen a lot of NE winds. And they ain't been the balmy variety. Don't feel bad...you are not alone....

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I rely mostly on iwindsurf.com.
Now for me this year I have had good luck with the weather. I guess it depends on what days you can go.

i

·
Registered
28 Posts
we were out last Sunday and got our limit in three hrs off of Geneva in 52 feet of water.
Previous trips out we have gotten our limit each time.
Now addressing the weather, that is where the trouble starts. I don't mean to paint a rosy picture. Getting on the lake and then staying there is the biggest challenge this year. Wind, waves, rain and everything else like having to go to work puts a crimp in things.
On the serious side, try Geneva and look for the parking lot on the lake, you will see 20-30 boats all anchored, or try Ashtabula. I have heard good reports out there.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well, after having such bad luck getting out on my boat this year, like OSUdaddy, I signed up for a walk on charter for Sunday. Figured I'd plop some bucks on something a little bigger, that could make the run out and get me in fish, regardless of weather. Twenty-four hours ago they were forecasting 10-15 knots and 2 footers for Sunday. Captain just called and said they finished in 6 footers this afternoon, and the forecast for tomorrow was winds over 20 knots and gusts to 30-35. He was recommending canceling the charter. I checked the sites and LimnoTech buoy and sure enough, picture showed it was ugly out there, and tomorrows forecast not good! Seems like story of my summer.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
My pops loves to fish but wont try for walleye without me there to run the program so him and his retired buddys drag the boat up for perch during the week while im at work. They have been running outta Conneaut about 5 miles or so and pulling 150 before 11:00. Last Friday they punched 5 tickets in an hour and a half. Dont know the exact #'s because im not with him. You could call Snug Harbor for a report and he will tell you the depth or run N and look for the pack of boats around 5 miles out. As far as the waves go i feel your pain! I can only walleye fish on Sundays and i have only been out twice. Once in solid 4'ers and the other time was real nice 2' or less. Just seems like the lake is a pancake Mon-Sat and a washing machine on Sundays! Hope this gives ya some encouragement, Conneaut is always a safe bet for perch. I think that little bit of structure (trenches) is why its always so good.....Best of luck!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts