close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

worn out vex????

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by wave warrior, Jan 22, 2009.

1. lately i have noticed that the colors on my vex are more like broken lines in stead of solid colors...still works fine but seems like it may need an overhaul....FL8SE 3 seasons old...any thoughts or suggestions or is this normal and i shouldnt worry about it??? THANKS!

2. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

Were you fishing in a pack of shanties? I thought mine was broken when I first got it, but I just needed to use the interference rejection because someone very close by was using another finder that caused interference. The only other thing I could find in the manual (which you can read online at vexilar.com) is that your brushes might be bad, which would be a bummer for me since mine is the same age as yours and I don't want to have to buy a new set of brushes already! Good luck figuring it out and please post when you find out what it is.

3. I did some research a few years ago on the brushes as I remember they were'nt that expensive and easy to change. I'll see if I can find the info again.

4. Problems with Dim Lights ------------------------

Most likely, your light intensity problem is from the accumulation of brush dust on the inside of the unit. You should be able to clean this yourself.

Remove the two screws from the back cover, unplug the power and transducer jacks from the PC board, and remove the back cover. Next, remove the control knobs from the front of the case (the Allen size is 1.5 MM). Remove the four screws that hold the PC board in place and remove the board.

Using compressed air, blow out all of the brush dust from in and around the wheel assembly and wash the front case, inside and out, with soap and water.

To clean the brush contacts, make a tool by stapling or taping a small piece of fine sandpaper (400 grit) to the end of a popsicle stick. Connect the rear case power jack to the PC board and turn the unit on. Be careful of the spinning wheel! Insert the tool you made between the board and the spinning wheel. Clean the three brass rings until they are shinny. Run the unit for at least 30 minutes at room temperature to reseat the brushes. This should increase your light intensity to where it was when the unit was new.

If the brush contacts are worn significantly, you should replace them. You can order a brush kit here, under FL Series Accessories: http://www.vexilar.com/purchase/direct/direct.html Be sure to read the instructions available before you order, so you are sure you can do the job.

If you want to send it in for us to replace the brush plate and slip rings, it will cost you around $61.00 plus $7.50 for shipping. It will be here for about 3 to 5 days.

Thanks.

Pat Vexilar Service

Vexilar, Inc. 6667 - West Old Shakopee Road Minneapolis, MN. 55438

http://www.vexilar.com