close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

worm harness

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by cpr, May 21, 2007.

1. cpr

cpr

How due you fish worm harness:eek:

2. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I like to fish them Carolina Rigged when drifting or casting. It seems to work for me when the drift is slow. When the drift is swifter I use bottom bouncers.

3. Because they don't sink rapidly or dive, they must be assisted by a weighted device. There are several popular means to present spinners (worm harnesses) and each has it's specific uses. Speeds to troll (or drift) can range from .8 MPH up to 2.5 MPH depending on the fish's mood and tactic used. Typically a trolling speed for bouncers, snap weights, or in-lines would be 1.2-1.4 MPH. Dipseys or jets 1.4 to 2.2 MPH.
    1) Bottom bouncer for trolling or drifting structure-oriented bottom dwelling fish in snaggy areas.
    2) Slip sinker for drifting structure-oriented fish in less snaggy areas.
    3) Snap weight or in-line weight for suspended fish.
    4) Dipsey diver for suspended fish.
    5) Jet diver for suspended fish.
    6) Lead core line for suspended or bottom dwelling fish (not as popular as other methods).

Tim

4. I use a 1/4 once slip sinker with a #6 red or chart bead ( The bead works as a cushion between the sinker and the swivel so your line does not break) after it then a #10 barrel swivel. Next I tie about 1 to 2 feet of line on the bottom of the barrel swivel use a #10 swivel that has a catch on it that wraps around the outside of the swivel it looks like a little hook then the worm harness with bait.I have found that this method works great and best of all your line does not get all twisted up. I use this setup for drifting and trolling with a worm harness. I have even used a crankbait on the end instead of a worm harness. A friend of mine turned me onto this setup and I always cath fish this way. I have to be honest though 90% of the time I just tie up an 1/8 ounce jig with a twister tail. I do not like to carry around a bunch of tackle.