Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a rough day fishing out of lake shore thursday, pulling thudersticks and spoons. talked to west wind on the radio they were having a great day and they were pulling worm harnesses. we were both on the same program 3oz 100 back.
I switched to meat with no luck, then i noticed that my harnesses were much smaller than the ones i see in the bait shops around erie. mine seem to be more for inland lakes. can someone give me some good suggestion on witch erie harnesses would be the best? there seems to be many different blade styles and colors. any help would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
126 Posts
#5 colorado blades, 30# coated wire, 1/0 octopus hooks. I like the deep cup blades for more action. Willow and hatchet blades do good too. Favorite colors: phantom, blueberry muffin, money puke snd whatever else floats your boat

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just use dipseys and spoons mainly. Just started making my own harnesses. Gamakatsu hooks are the way to go to o

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
927 Posts
I would suggest talking to one of the local bait shops near where you are fishing. They will get you everything you need. I prefer #5 and #6 Colorado blades with pink, purple, chartreuse, gold or copper colors. You will need to have an assortment of blades to get started as every day they seem to prefer a different color. I prefer 6-7' harnesses myself, length of the rod is the normal rule of thumb.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
"I'll get the net"
1,941 Posts
Call Erie outfitters in Sheffield and tell Craig your new to harness fishing and he can get you started with some that will work for you.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I tie my own harnesses, 6 to 7 feet long, with two 2 / 0 octopus hooks. I use a quick change clevis so I can change blades. I like 20# Seaguar line. Purples and pink blades have been working well. You can find videos on youtube showing how to tie harnesses. Erie Outfitters in Sheffield has the components, also I order a lot from Janns Netcraft. I have never used any of the harnesses tackle stores sell but a lot of them look too short to me, I guess you have to run them with a leader. I like tying my own anyway, kind of fun and cheaper too. I've been pulling nothing but worm harnesses since the middle of May and doing well with them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My go to size colorado is #5 and #6. Go to for double willows is size 4 i believe.
Ive had success with double willows all the way up to size 6, singles up to 8, and colorados all the way up to size 8. Some colorados have more of a cupped bend in the round area of the blade. This was intended to achieve better action at slower speeds, but you can pull them at faster speeds as well, just be sure to use a quality ball bearing snap swivel. That goes for any type of harness fishing. Willows were made for faster speeds, but you can run them at slower speeds as well, just upsize the blades to get the same action and depth if you feel necessary. For any type of spinners, the bigger the blade or blades, the more resistance or pull you will have.. This will means a #5 colorado will run slightly deeper than a #8 would on the same lead and speed. Bigger size blades are meant to be pulled at slow speeds imo.
I use 30lb coated nylon wire for my double willows with folded clevis's. I dont use quick change for them because nothing is more aggravating than losing one blade on a double willow and not having a replacement. You can also use 30 or 35lb flourocarbon with folded clevises and hold up good. Thats what silver streak uses for their pre-tied double willows.

I use quick change on colorados, because that what im pulling 75% of the time. I need to be able to quickly change blades if needed. If i lose one, its no big deal, have plenty of back ups.

Hatchets are fun. I run sizes 5-8. These are also made for slightly faster speeds than colorados but can be pulled at any speed. If you slow down, just up size the blade for same action if you want. These put off a thump sound that big fish cant resist. Before a walleye even sees or smells a bait, he can feel it. He can tell how big it is, how fast its moving, and which direction it is moving in. Thanks to the lateral line. Hatchets trick big fish into thinking the bait is actually bigger than it really is, because of the unique vibration they put off. Still, they catch fish of all sizes, but are known for big fish.

Dont get too caught up in the different colors. Water is a color filter, and most colors are just a shade of grey to fish after 20 foot or so if remember correctly. Even less on a cloudy day, or muddy water. Patterns vs. solid color on the other hand can be a big trigger factor tho. Lets say you have pink blade with a black dot on it. Even tho the fish cant distinguish the colors we see, he can still see the pink as a light shade of gray, and the black dot as a dark shade of grey.

Time to get back to work. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Learn to tie your own harnesses, Justenough. Buy your components and assemble the colors and sizes you like and what's working best. Besides, it's satisfying to catch fish on something you made. I tie most of my rigs during the winter and I also make them right on the boat if a particular pattern is required. I use a multi-container tackle carrier that holds all my line, blades galore, hooks, beads and clevises. There are many instructional videos online where you can learn to tie knots especially the snell. You can make your own rig for around $1 while the shops are selling theirs for $3. I'm in business (www.eriecaptain.com) so every penny counts. Good luck.

·
"I'll get the net"
1,941 Posts

·
"I'll get the net"
1,941 Posts
The bottom page are mine painted with nail polish. The customs r from Domka outdoors, big papa sport fishing and galefforcetackle Angermanagemant on here designs some good stuff

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the help. think i'm going to start tying my own.
i think i'm going to start with #5 blades and stick with common colors pink, purple,green. try to it simple. thanks again to everyone.

·
"I'll get the net"
1,941 Posts
thanks for all the help. think i'm going to start tying my own.
i think i'm going to start with #5 blades and stick with common colors pink, purple,green. try to it simple. thanks again to everyone.
Once you start making them it will get addicting. Good luck out there.:T

1 - 15 of 15 Posts