close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Worlds most eaten fish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by reel, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Was at BW3 over the weekend sopping up some fine Killians Draft beer and a big mess of wings with the sweet barbecue sauce. We were playing the Trivia game and the question came up. "What is the worlds most eaten fish". The answers were (I added one).

1. Trout
    2. Herring
    3. Salmon
    4. Tuna
    5. Cod
    6. Carp

Everyone turned to me so I said it was probably Tuna. But the answer was Herring. I said "say what" ! ! I still don't believe it. Maybe they ment, most eaten by other fish or most individual fish as opposed to total weight. Couldn't find much on Google. Any comments here.

2. I watched a show the other day that said that tuna was the most popular seafood, followed by shrimp. Never mentioned herring. Though, they may have only been talking about in America, not sure.

3. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

I would have figured "Filet-o" Fish would have been at the top of the Mclist

T

4. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

I'm not 100% sure on this but I saw a show a while back and they said that herring is the most consumed fish. It is used in fish patty's, fish sticks and other types of processed fish. It is also used in imatation crab meat. It is called "Krab meat" in the store.

5. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

Thinking it was a trick US question, I would have guessed carp as that is why they were originally introduced and big overseas.

6. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Herring are eaten a lot in Europe. I knew a guy once who came to work with a gallon jar of creamed Herring. I wouldn't eat any as we used Blue Back Herring for bait for Stripers at Santee Cooper Reservoir and they didn't look too appetizing to me. The guy ate the whole jar by himself.

7. catking

catking Banned

China and Japans # fish is carp. Ther are what, about 2 billion of these people over there??? And they want you to think herring ??? No way...... It's the carp.......... :cool:

8. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

actually I wouldnt mind trying smoked carp sometime. I've had a lot of smoked fish and my fav 3 have been

1. Smoked Sturgeon!!!! WOW
    2. Smokod Trout
    2. Smoked Salmon