1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
good for him to not give a eff about records...IMO there should be a different way to submit a record breaking fish...i dont think you should have to kill it just for recognition...

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was caught in a closed season. If he kept this fish he would have broken the law, and been subject to citation.
Good point. Brings up a great ethical question. If you thought you had a world record, would you keep it and just pay the fine? Hmmm.

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
not sure...would only be able to tell in the moment...at this point, i would hate to take that beast out of that water...if they die as easily as they do around here from exhaustion then you might have something.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Illegal fish are not eligible for records. There would be no point.
he wasn't targeting muskies (at least he says he wasn't) so there's no violation there...if he could of got it to a certified scale (like maybe a marina close by) and then was able to release it I believe that it would in fact count as a world record...why wouldn't it?..that's basically what the article said...I wasn't being a smartass I was just bringing up a scenario...if this is true there has to have been a crapload of would have records caught and released...but the law says u cant possess the fish too so...but you do in fact possess it when u catch it...dunno...why cant u catch it, weigh it(certified scale) and release it out of season?..if u weren't targeting that species?

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
First of all he wasn't targeting muskies (at least he says he wasn't) so there's no violation there...if he could of got it to a certified scale (like maybe a marina close by) and then was able to release it I believe that it would in fact count as a world record...why wouldn't it?..that's basically what the article said...
The statement was in response to a specific question. I didn’t suggest he did anything wrong.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Can remember the dried lower jaw of a musky found on a gravel beach in Wisconsin back in the `90`s. Dried and detached it was almost 1" longer than the mounted current world record musky, which they held it up to for comperasion...various "experts all agreed that fish it came from EASILY went 75+pds while alive. Imagine hooking THAT thing...most reel drags would burst into flames !

·
1,915 Posts
I bet he had fun catching it .He did the right thing by releasing that fish.In or out of season that's a Hog!IMO a certified scale is no where close enough when you catch a fish that size and plan to release it.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I'm not trying to get an argument going. But you aren't allowed to take a fish caught out of season into possession. You can catch them but they must be released immediately. Taking a fish to a scale to weigh it, would be taking the fish into your possession. You can't restrain the fish in any way after capture. Reviving a fish while it's in the water is not considered restraining the fish. But if you pop that baby in your live well until it's strong enough to swim away, you have taken that fish into your possession. It's a no no.

·
Registered
771 Posts
just my 2 cents....the guy did the right thing. he is still being recognized as catching monstrosity of a muskie...he released it because it was out of season. "blew out his reel"....man, that must have been a fight for the (not record) books!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts