Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My electric knife sharpener seems to be showing it's age and I was considering trying a work sharp but I was curious about the belts, mostly wondering how long they last so any input from owners is appreciated

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Fine ones don't last long. If you don't watch what you are doing you will thin the blade hight wise at the hilt. I threw mine away. Went back to the one with a clamp for the knife and a guide rod to keep the angle correct.

·
The end is near
7,039 Posts
Mr. Duck nailed it. You can ruin a good blade fast. I would suggest buying some flea market/yard sale knives and practicing before you tackle your nice ones. Just my 2 cents worth.
Personally, I use the old oil stones and I have some diamond ones that use water as a lubricant.
The guided systems like Mr. Duck suggested are also nice.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Love my work sharp. Had it for for probably 5-6 years now. I'm sure there's better alternatives out there as others have suggested but it gets all my knives and many friends knives shaving sharp

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have one but haven't put the time into figuring it out yet ,
I have one. I do everybodies knives ? Scissors. I don't think they are hard to use. The belts do wear out , but they are not expensive. There are 3 belts & when they wear down I just move them down the line . The heavy belt becomes the medium belt & so on.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I own a lansky system already and I do like it but I like to have an electric option for quick jobs while cutting deer or doing an army of kitchen knives
all good points above............if you have time to waste get a Lansky.

The work smart isnt very hard to figure out, the point is where it can be a little tricky

·
The end is near
7,039 Posts
I've always heard the fastest technique to get a blade sharp was a grinder type setup with cardboard wheels. Here's some background.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Mine is like a Lansky but the stones are a bit wider. I just put an old towel on my lap in the evening watching tv and take care of my blades. I do put a steeper angle on mine but it's more durable.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I have used stones, Lansky, an Edge Pro and have settled on the Work Sharp. I got a thing about sharp knives... they gotta be sharp, razor sharp.
I can achieve razor edges with all of the above but for my sharpening needs I have settled on the Work Sharp.
I use what is now called The Elite Knife Sharpening Solution. It does take a bit of practice but once you get the hang of sharpening with it you can put some deadly edges on your knives. That stropping belt at 12000 grit will absolutely put a mirror finish on your blades... I love it. And, just like other techniques once you put an edge on a knife with this system it’s easy to maintain.
I started with the Knife and Tool Sharpener but I’m to anal to get over the belt going up on one side and down on the other. The guide left scratches on a few blades and by the design some knives with thumb studs don’t work well.
So, pick your poison... depends on what you call sharp. A good set of stones ain’t cheap and if your looking for a decent system it will cost a few bucks as well.

All that being said, there are those out there that can probably match the edge I get with my Work Sharp with toothpaste.
Al

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Your all right to an extent.
I have used a Worksharp for years. I still do, but only to rough my edge in.
I have discovered the Tormek System, however, i would not pay $500 to $1600 for a sharpener.
I have purchased the Wen water wheel sharpener. It has a minor learning curve, but once you figure it out, it is unbeatable. It is a cheap knock-off of the Tormek.

This is a water wheel sharpener that puts no heat into the blade as you sharpen. One can also change the grit of the wheel with a handy little "grit stone" You can check this system out on youtube for proper set up and use.
I paid $99 for this sharpener a while back. I believe it's still only $149 now. If you sharpen one knife on this machine, you will never use anything else.
TRUE razor sharpness in 10 minutes.

You guys having blade ruining issues with the Worksharp, need to go online and learn to use it. It's all about pressure and maintaining a continuous common angle.
Stay away from aggressive gritted belts unless your grinding in the secondary edge of a newly made blade or one with no edge at all.
Also, one can avoid blade damage by using the 3M cloth belts. These belts are more expensive, but much easier on a highly valued knife and can still produce a fairly decent cutting edge. By yourself a "belt cleaner" and use it often, it will extend the usefulness of your grinding belts, as well as unclogging them for much better grinding.
Worksharp has come out with a new grinder as of late. I will research it and let you guys know my opinion of it.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
New Worksharp

s-l500.jpg
Weight: 4.6 lbs.
Size: 5.5 x 10 x 6 Inches
Grit: 120, 65, 22, 4, 6000
Speed (RPM): 6,112 to 14,261
Belt Size: 3/4 x 12 Inches
Material: Tool Strenght Plastic
Includes: Work Sharp Power Platform
5-pc. Abrasive Belt Kit: P120 extra coarse, X65 coarse, X22 medium, X4 fine, 6000 extra fine
Adjustable knife sharpening guide (1530)
User's guide and Instructional DVD
Assembled in U.S.A

Take notice of the RPM

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Your all right to an extent.
I have used a Worksharp for years. I still do, but only to rough my edge in.
I have discovered the Tormek System, however, i would not pay $500 to $1600 for a sharpener.
I have purchased the Wen water wheel sharpener. It has a minor learning curve, but once you figure it out, it is unbeatable. It is a cheap knock-off of the Tormek.

View attachment 467981

This is a water wheel sharpener that puts no heat into the blade as you sharpen. One can also change the grit of the wheel with a handy little "grit stone" You can check this system out on youtube for proper set up and use.
I paid $99 for this sharpener a while back. I believe it's still only $149 now. If you sharpen one knife on this machine, you will never use anything else.
TRUE razor sharpness in 10 minutes.

You guys having blade ruining issues with the Worksharp, need to go online and learn to use it. It's all about pressure and maintaining a continuous common angle.
Stay away from aggressive gritted belts unless your grinding in the secondary edge of a newly made blade or one with no edge at all.
Also, one can avoid blade damage by using the 3M cloth belts. These belts are more expensive, but much easier on a highly valued knife and can still produce a fairly decent cutting edge. By yourself a "belt cleaner" and use it often, it will extend the usefulness of your grinding belts, as well as unclogging them for much better grinding.
Worksharp has come out with a new grinder as of late. I will research it and let you guys know my opinion of it.
Nice setup... I had considered going to a grinder setup but as I just putz around with sharpening I couldn’t justify another system as the Work Sharp gets ‘em sharp.
It looks like the things I don’t like about the Work Sharp systems the Wen addresses. I looked at the Tormek system but like you, couldn’t justify that expense as I already have one ridiculously expensive hobby, fishing.

Trying to get a consistent bevel on edges with the Work Sharp is challenging enough on a short blade, on a long blade like a 9” filet knife it becomes trying... folks mention taking off too much steel. That is most definitely part of the learning curve. After sharpening a knife once there isn’t a need to use the courser grits... and a light tough is key. The other thing that can be a problem is heat. Not sure if it gets hot enough to destroy a temper but I try to watch the heat as I work an edge.

Looks like a nice setup... maybe when I quit fishing I’ll spring for another system...

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I picked up a grizzly last summer, but have yet to use it , plus have a Ken onion work Sharp, been in search for something, between the 2 I should get a sharp knife finallyneed knife holding attachments for the grizzly (discontinued) but looks like the wen is similar..... thought about making one
It came with some attachments but not knife he was a wood worker and used it to sharpen his lathe tools..... 30.00 garage sale

20210410_100715.jpg

·
Registered
789 Posts
I picked up a grizzly last summer, but have yet to use it , plus have a Ken onion work Sharp, been in search for something, between the 2 I should get a sharp knife finallyneed knife holding attachments for the grizzly (discontinued) but looks like the wen is similar..... thought about making one
It came with some attachments but not knife he was a wood worker and used it to sharpen his lathe tools..... 30.00 garage sale

View attachment 468037
That’s a ‘Tormek’ clone. I think you should be able to buy any jigs you need here

I kept quiet about recommending tormek because of its price, but that’s (or it’s clones) what you want to use. You can sharpen your knives and chisels so sharp that you’ll be hesitant to leave them in the kitchen drawer. If you happen to be a woodworker it opens the door to using hand planes because you’ll have a way to get them sharp enough to work as designed. You’ve got what you need. Get some jigs and watch some of the tormek how to videos. Make sure you get the angle finding jig. It’s key to getting good results. $30. Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I got accessories in the box beside it ,just not for a knife ..... the angle finding jig is in the box, the looping belt will be handy
I couldn't get to my wallet fast enough , and paid the asking price(normally I'll try a little lower) he said there was over 100.00 dollars in accessory in the box :) just not what needed for knifes

I have another older one with a white fine grit stone , came from a machine shop tool room

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
You can get the Tormek clone grinding jig set from Amazon or, believe it or not, Home Depot.

View attachment 468037
Thats exactly how i do it, Ironman172, i use them both. I make knives, so i have a finished blade with no edge at all. I use my Ken Onion to set the secondary bevel (edge) then sharpen it on the Wen.
Like fidler said, you must be very careful with these type sharpeners because they will create a surgical edge on any blade.
I try to judge my client as well as i can to decide how sharp to make their blade. Usually hunters and fishermen are well versed in sharp blades from using fillet knives for years. Also, chefs and and hard core cooks can handle a very sharp blade. I actually feel bad if someone gets cut on my blades, cause that high sharpness cuts deep.
If i think the person is not well versed, i'll make them a duller knife and ask them to return it to me if they think it needs finer sharpening.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Nice setup... I had considered going to a grinder setup but as I just putz around with sharpening I couldn’t justify another system as the Work Sharp gets ‘em sharp.
It looks like the things I don’t like about the Work Sharp systems the Wen addresses. I looked at the Tormek system but like you, couldn’t justify that expense as I already have one ridiculously expensive hobby, fishing.

Trying to get a consistent bevel on edges with the Work Sharp is challenging enough on a short blade, on a long blade like a 9” filet knife it becomes trying... folks mention taking off too much steel. That is most definitely part of the learning curve. After sharpening a knife once there isn’t a need to use the courser grits... and a light tough is key. The other thing that can be a problem is heat. Not sure if it gets hot enough to destroy a temper but I try to watch the heat as I work an edge.

Looks like a nice setup... maybe when I quit fishing I’ll spring for another system...
I can tell that you have the Worksharp down pat. Thats 90% of the battle. Well done.
I looked up the spec's on the new Worksharp (listed above) and it appears to be great.
The only bi**h i have is the max RPM. A new user will definitely trash some blades with that speed as they learn to use it.
Just my opinion, guys, don't let me stop you if you want one, just go easy at first.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts