Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any good reservoirs or lakes or even ponds in the area that are good to fish? My fishing buddy lives in Woodville and we are always driving for at least a half hour to find good spots and I was wondering if there is anything closer. With all the rain we have been getting the rivers are tough to fish. I'm not really into catfish either. We tried Aldrich pond to no avail and we hope to find a better spot so if anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fishing from shore? Waders? Canoe? If u have a kayak, canoe or small Jon boat then metzgers marsh is perfect if u like LMB and pike. It is right off rt2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I usually either fish from shore or I have a 12' intex inflatable fishing boat that I take out on reservoirs and lakes and small streams. I hit metzgers a few weeks ago on the raft but all of it seemed very shallow 1-3 feet does it get deeper the farther north you get or do you get bass in that shallow water? I'm guessing your pretty much top water only through all those weeds?

·
Registered
221 Posts
it gets a little deeper, but i get almost all of my bass and pike in the 1-3' deep sections. this late in the year i use strictly hollow body frogs and poppers. poppers work amazing right now. they have to be fished in small sections right now and u wil have to clean the hooks repeatedly, but on a still evening/morning they are absolutely lethal

·
fish breath
567 Posts
I've thought about going to metzgers to fish but I don't have any experience there except for duck hunting. Can you fish from shore with any success or is having a yak or canoe a much better option?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Far too many weeds from shore this time of year. Early spring u can fish from shore just fine. I have even waded it, though the ground is real soft with weed and muck. There are some deep sinking spots when u wade. U pretty much need a small boat, canoe or kayak right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone that is great info and will have to try it. I tried throwing minnows out there last time so maybe I should switch to poppers and frogs. My go to jig is usually a 1/16th pink head jig and white twister tail with which I catch everything from walleye to LMB and white bass but it does not work at all in the marsh. But over the last weekend I was able to nail 150 white bass and white perch off the pier there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was also wondering about maybe the portage river by the dams? I have been Google-ing it like crazy but its so hard to get the exact locations of them. I know they are only like 5 mins from my buddies house. They also aren't really visible from Google maps. I think one is under the turnpike? the other is 2 miles north. I've tried that rive a few times with no luck in woodville but I think its just a bad spot on that river. Elmore seems much more promising. If the weather stays cooperative I will be trying to find those and prob hitting metzger's and I will update if I have any luck!

·
Registered
835 Posts
The dam upstream from of the turnpike can only be accessed by crossing private property. It's a very short lowhead dam and doesn't hold up fish below it, not very productive. The other dam near Stan's curve isn't much better as someone removed the oak boards during a low water period about 15-20 yrs ago and the dam on the west side has collapsed. You can catch fish there but it doesn't stack them up because they can now swim right on past. There is some good fishing from Woodville all the way to 590 if you know where to go or what to look for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks rutnut! I went to riverbend and attempted to fish but the water was way too high and fast. I'm not sure where stan's curve is and can't seem to find it on Google. I hope I can find a good place because its so close. Still waiting for it to drop a bit more though. I also tried metzgers that day but had some boating issues then a storm started blowing in and couldn't really get into full swing. It was a bad day all around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts