Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I used to split all my wood with a maul and or wedge, but then I broke my elbow ( avulsion fracture) and torn tendon. Where my tendon and the back radius of bone in my elbow ended up half way to my shoulder. Surgery, 8 weeks in a cast and 5 more in a fixating brace and lots of therapy moved me to a splitter. Now in my old age I am glad to have it. I got a custom made one that just needed a new motor and pump cheap, it is a beast. The surgeon told me to never use a maul or heavy hammer the rest of my life. The elbow is wired and pinned together and the shock could cause it to break again. It also works good for excuses to get out of honey dos. Oh Honey my elbow really hurts today.

The part that sucks is, too much casting makes it sore and inflamed.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Knock on wood…… I keep an arm load in the rack beside the burner at all times. I don’t burn small pieces and seems to cool the box off for just a bit when I throw in a 10 degree chunk of wood. So far haven’t ever seen any major bugs other than the occasional daddy long leg which the cat is fast to engulf.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have lived in a wood heated house almost all my life and never once did we ever fear storing wood in the house. We usually had at least a days worth to 3 days worth in a wood box. Like I said we currently store a cord at a time in the basement. I have never had a problem. A cord will last us a month or more . Nice dry warm wood sure burns good and hot.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
My comments directed(as stated) more for the benefit of newbies. I have 3-4 chords covered w/ tarps and stored abt 400 ft from the house near my woods. I bring up enough with my Mule to last about two weeks stacked under a shed roof outside the house. I “seed” that area with moth ball bags and bug spray. It’s true, tight barked wood will have fewer(maybe no) bugs. I keep a can of bug spray handy as well when splitting. I’ve had splitting sessions where in an hour or two, I’ve killed many centipedes, several boring beetles, a couple hundred black wood ants, and 10-15spiders! Having a bug problem inside will be “silent” and only take once to change old habits.
Again, for the newbies, getting started will(at least initially) be expensive. You’ll need a Good chainsaw, a wheel barrow-or two, probably a log splitter, a pickup truck(and/or a utility trailer), a stove or outdoor furnace(with auxilliary equipment to adapt to your house system), a good chimney system, and LOTS of “hustle”, especially if you don’t have a free wood source. Burning wood is one way to save money on heating, but if you have to buy wood, there is “no savings” IMO, and enough Fire Wood to heat your house is Not cheap to buy!

·
Time to fish!
5,009 Posts
I just put a wood burner in. I have a couple sources of wood including the neglected trees on my property. Amish hardwood cutoffs for 35 bucks a truckload helps supplement.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts