close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

wood for bunks????

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by freyedknot, Jul 16, 2004.

1. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

should i use treated wood for my bunks??? they seem to have a lot of nots in the treated wood. or should i get regular 2x4's and waterproof them ??

2. Treated. Water sealant will wear off. I've never had a problem with knots in treated lumber. You may want to try a different lumber yard.

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Treated. And you can get nice marine grade carpet at Lowes to cover them. I know, had to replace all four on my trailer once while out-of-state. (wood rot)

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto on the treated.a few knots wont hurt anything,but if you hand pick,you can find decent stuff..

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

ditto, i just made a set for my boat pics on here used treated 2x4 and blue carpet from lowes total of 12 in everything made steel pcs at work.

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

This winter i am going to make them for the underside of the boat so can drive the boat on the trailer easy in easy out for one person. I was told when i make the ones for the underside drive on to use white tefflon and the boat will slide right off.
    [​IMG]

7. freyedknot

i got a deal on the grey marine carpet at loews. it was a 6x8 remnant that i got for $24.00 .enough to cover them 4 times.will have to get the treated lumber. i want to make em up and just swap them at the ramp parking lot on a crummy day. thanx ,guys

8. I used treated 2 x 6's when I replaced my bunks a couple of years ago. My bunks are mounted with carriage bolts through the top down to brackets underneath. I have had a couple of bolt heads pull through the bunks because of the holes wallowing out. I am going to replace the bunks again this season using white oak. I priced some oak 2 x 6's at a local mill last year for about the same price as treated lumber from Home Depot.

9. freyedknot

my bunks are 3 yrs old ,and i should have replaced the boards too.i thaught they would be good still. NOT next time it will be easier to buy new 2x4's and just swap them out , instead of trying to rip the old carpet off.