won't need a flashlight for nightfishing

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Jackfish, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Was camping with the little ones last weekend, and ran into a guy with a nice flathead, 15-20lb. In a quick chat I learned the fish was taken from the GMR, WC/Miamisburg area. He apparently brought it back to the campsite because they where planning on eating the fish:confused:

Fact: Large Predator fish bio-accumulate pollutants and toxins at an accelerated rate due to diet, and it is much more harmful to consume one large fish than many smaller ones
    Fact: GMR isn't a clean river

Was kind of shocked, I always am, when I see people harvesting predator fish from a river like the GMR. The thought of eating a large, ugly, bottom dwelling, predator from a river like the GMR,....uggg.

Anyways, when the people that do harvest from the GMR start glowing in the dark, they can at least save some $ on flashlights.

2. There is no way I would eat a 15-20lb catfish. Simply no way, no matter where it was caught. That part of the GMR makes it even worse.

However, I have been known to eat the occasional 2-3lb. cat caught north of Dayton (GMR or Stillwater). I wouldn't eat alot of them, but it shouldn't be harmful in small increments. I hope I'm not wrong about that because they are quite tasty :)

3. Couldn't have said it better myself.

4. Yuck!

I fish this area a bit and would eat the grass off the bank before anything I caught from there

5. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

I've fished the GMR around Middletown for years... and have NEVER kept anything. I don't know much about it north of Dayton, but I would'nt keep anything farther south.

6. me and gmrcatman fished there, there is no way on gods green earth i would keep anything from the gmr let alone downstream from the AK dam. :eek: i would eat some sonnys dip bait before i would eat a fish out of the gmr esp. a catfish.

7. I would not eat a fish of that size either. I am partial to saltwater fish myself for eating. One thing to remember is the Flathead eats mostly live fish they do not scavenge the bottom like a channel or blue do most of the time. Out of the three would think they would be the safest to eat out of a river.JMHO:)

8. Actually, certain toxins accumulate in the body over time because they don't flush out. That's why an old, big catfish has more contaminants per oz than a young, small one. Same thing happens in people. Some doctors think that's why more people die of cancer now than in the past--they live longer because they don't die of other things like smallpox, etc., accumulate more toxins along the way, and eventually the toxins trigger cancer. Anyway, almost every lake in Ohio has some kind of warning on it. Best you can do is stay away from eating fish from the worst ones, like GMR. Either that, or quit eating fish altogether, which I ain't doin'.

9. I fish the GMR often and don't keep anything either. When I moved to the area and started fishing, I did an internet search on "catfish" and "GMR". Most of the results were consumption advisories up and down the river. That was in 1995. As I canoed the river over the years, I have noticed increases in fowl and wildlife species. Specifically, beaver, egrits, and cranes began to appear in numbers.

The epa updates the consumption advisories at least annually. The information is listed by section of river. It has been interesting to me that the catfish specific warnings has been gradually moving south. The last time I checked, the channel cat and flathead advisory started at the Chautauqua low dam. Now it starts where SR 73 crosses the GMR in Franklin. It would seem to me that the river is getting "cleaner". See the link below for the most current advisories.

http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dsw/fishadvisory/waters/Great.html

All that being said, I still won't eat fish out of the GMR. :p

Spencer

10. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

I'm not speaking about the GMR but I have an ugly thing to admit. I fish Mill Creek. Yea the Mill Creek in Cincinnati. Believe it or not, there are fish in there. I feel really dirty fishing there. More often than not I get snags from garbage than I do rocks and trees. No, I won't eat these fish, but it's a good place to catch and release. I have yet to catch any bass in Mill Creek but I really haven't given it an honest effort yet. The west fork of Mill Creek is right behind my house. I plan on hitting the main stem whenever I get some free time.

11. To each their own taste. I am just wondering if you mentioned to the guy that according to your research that he should not eat the fish or did you let him go to glow only to talk about him on here.

We see rants or complaints on here all the time but I was just wondering if anyone takes the time to tell the person who's actions they are upset about. That is tell them in a calm rational mind. ;) Most of us do things out of habit or it is what has always been done. I have learned from others but it took someone pointing out what I was doing was not correct. So if you feel strongly about what someone is doing then tell them. They may not agree but then again they may.

12. Walter – I agree that it’s beneficial to educate others when you have the opportunity. So if you’re asking if I took that opportunity – no I didn’t – 1 in the morning with my 3yr old on my shoulders while hiking to the little girls room isn’t really the best time to educate a group of three individuals I don’t know, who by the slight glaze I’m guessing had put back a few already, I have no way of knowing, but they may not have taken my suggestions too well.

Most cases, I do agree with you;)

13. This may well be the case - due to the tremendous decrease in industrial production. (On a side note, the water table is actually rising under the city as the withdrawal rate is around 14MM gal/day less than it was when Delphi/others were producing at full rate - but I digress).
    I hope the trend of river water quality improvement continues, but I am worried about what will be revealed when Delphi finally goes belly-up and sites like the Wisconsin Boulevard plant are demolished. I've been in there many times and it is very likely an environmental disaster. I worry that a substantial amount of heavy metals has leeched into the soil through the foundations there and in other locations up and down the river from Dayton to Middletown. One big mistake in handling or containment and we could wind up catching "Blinky" the 10 lb three-eyed bluegill.
    I'd like to think that responsible and intelligent plans are being made for such a possibility, but who knows...

14. BigSmallie, my Delphi plant, Harrison Thermal, went belly up in 2007. At the plant on Dryden Rd. in Moraine, they used to dump huge dumpsters full of chips (machining scrap) directly onto the ground. I never could understand how they got away with that. The stuff was chock full of all kinds of coolants, oils, plating byproducts and everything else associated with heavy industry. Also, there was a huge open pit across the street that had who knows what industrial waste in it until they finally covered it over. We had two big concrete runoff cisterns, one at each end of the plant, that connected directly to the GMR. One of my buds who fished the river a lot showed me the discharge point. I don't know if the pit connected to the river, but it was between our plant and the river. All that stuff that was dumped on the ground could run off directly from those cisterns to the river, and I can't imagine what you'd find if you tested the soil around the plant. I agree that one reason our rivers are getting cleaner is because we are letting China pollute its water, by giving them all of our jobs, instead of doing it to ourselves.

15. After reading this, im glad i always fish the north end of the river, Tipp City and North. Cleaner and are healthy from what ive seen.