close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Won't be long!!!!

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by BigChessie, Jun 27, 2005.

1. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Is anyone else starting to get pumped about the coming season? Been starting to get some work done with the dogs. Just found out my dog trainer has a Lab that needs to put in some time and of course I offered to take him out with me everyday. So now gonna be hunting the 2 Chessies and a Lab!! Everyday it hits 90+ degrees is 1 more day closer to the opener :D

2. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

I am alway's pumped for Waterfowl season! A buddy of mine got me started a few years back and it has fast become my favorite type of hunting.

3. BigChessie

It would be nice to get some guys from here and go shoot some clays or just hang out and shoot the chit. If anyone has dogs, could also get together for some training and exchange training tips.

4. I start counting as soon as the season is over with. I've been known to sit up bolt-straight out of a dead sleep and holler "take 'em!" I wonder why my wife has developed a nervous twitch while sleeping....

5. BigChessie-

I would not mind hitting the sporting clays later this summer. Been a couple of years since I have been out. I used to shoot in the summer league over at Hidden Haven near Sugar Grove.

6. BigChessie

I will have to admit to never have actually shot clay or trap. But am looking forward to improving my shooting. I'm healling up pretty well (at least the doc thinks so) and it would help my confidence to shoulder a gun and see how it feels. One of my goals for this season is to really work on my calling so if anyone is up to giving a few leassons, I'll buy the drinks!

7. BigChessie

BTW The tags on my trucks say "Take EM" and "1SHT 1KL" lol

8. I seem to remember seeing that plate in the past...Hidden Haven has a lot of different courses and looks along with a 5 stand course. Sporting clays are a blast and they really did help my and my buddies shooting. We really noticed it the first year during dove season and then on the ducks and geese.

My wife and I are expecting our first baby by the end of the month so I'm pretty much booked for the next 18 years...I mean month....I have not shot for a couple of seasons but when I did, a 50 bird course was about 14 bucks plus tip to the trapper and price of your shells. I'd be up for a round or to in August, if anyone else is interested let me know.

9. BigChessie

Aug would be perfect, get nice and ready for the dove action and toss in a few early season honkers. lol

10. Sounds good to me. I'll give a call next onth and see how much it costs these days to shoot a couple rounds. Anyone who likes to shoot, they can accomodate a bunch of shooters. It is a good time and I don't take myself too seriously, anyone from newbies to experts will have fun.

11. BigChessie

Really looking forward to start getting ready for the season.

12. it`s a good drive for me but i`d be up for a round or two.let me know when you guys are planning on going.

13. Will do! I'll find out what the prices are now and let you guys know. I know it is a ways out, but the weekend of August 20th or the 27th looks best for me. I have to work on the 13th.

14. BigChessie

Since my B-day is Aug 29 .....hmmmm the weekend before should be pretty cheap for me lol

15. BuckeyeAngler

BuckeyeAngler Love to be on the Water

September 1st can't come soon enough for me either. I'm taking summer classes at Ohio State and they end on August 24th. Then I'm headed off to Bozeman, Montana to do some trout fishing with my cousin who's working for the National Forestry Department...but don't worry I'm coming back August 31st so I can be ready for the beginning of early season. I guess that means I'll have to shoot some clay targets during finals week so that I'm ready for the honkers and the teal.

16. I have yet to take a teal here in Ohio. Had a few on my pond this spring, Blue wings.

17. BuckeyeAngler

BuckeyeAngler Love to be on the Water

My roommate and hunting partner took a male green winged teal at a farm pond in Xenia. My cousin also got a female on the same outing. They are beautiful birds. It was my roommate's first bird so he had it mounted. Now its in our living room. It looks great with the mossy oak covered couches and the canvasback my dad shot 10 years ago.

18. I've shot a few green wings in Louisana and Illinois and whiffed on a couple floating a creek the last week of the season a couple of years ago. Was not expecting woddies and teal to come barreling out with the mallards and blacks...

19. Shooting fees at Hidden Haven are $16 for a 50 bird course, $8 for a 25 round of 5 stand. Standard practice is to tip the trapper 3-5 bucks. Plus you have the cost of shells. I use field loads, 7.5 or 8 shot, low brass. Anything I can find for 4 or 5 bucks.

Let me know what you guys think, we can go down anytime. Not sure how their prices compare to other places but you would be hard pressed to find a place with a bigger variety of target looks and courses.