close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wonderful Weekend on Game Lake

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by iteech, May 20, 2008.

1. iteech

iteech Shebasser

I know most of you don't fish at game lakes, but I went to eastern Ohio (near Wheeling WV) for a long weekend with my grown children and grandson--we had a truly grand time. I have pictures but after three years on this forum, really, seriously, I still cannot figure out how to load them--I am very lame computer-wise. We caught about 600 fish between the 5 of us, spread over 2 1/2 days. Huge stripers (biggest caught was 16 lbs), very nice LMBs (largest caught was 7 lbs 3 oz), big cats, perch, carp (yuk), and very, very freak-sized hybrid bluegills--I caught one that was 14" and one ounce from 2 lbs. It was very oddly misshapen, they look very strange when they get that big. Ounce for ounce, I do not believe there is any fish more fightin'-fun to catch than a bluegill. Every time, I thought I had a nice LMB or striper. We stayed in a cabin on the lake and pretty much fished 12-14 hours a day...it was a total blast. This lake is strict catch-and-release, and you cannot use live bait except under a bobber. They supply boats with trolling motors--you can't bring your own. There are two large lakes, each with a sort-of different fish population. It is very pricey, but it is a once-a-year tradition in my family...and for families or groups of friends, it cannot be beat for pure enjoyment. We save up all year! My oldest son is leaving for his second tour in Iraq in a couple weeks, so this trip with him and his brother and sister and me was sweet beyond words. If anyone is interested, please PM me and I will give you details. Read a great statement yesterday--this was a woman talking about how much pleasure fishing with her family gave her: "you know, I believe we as a modern society have lost something--a type of exquisite elation that cannot be felt by any means other than the hunting and gathering of your own food, as God meant us to do. This natural joy is a gift, it is ancient, and it is still present in all of us, waiting to be awakened." Hear, hear.

2. Sounds like a lot of fun. Do they have a website or could you provide some more info? I can't find anything on the place.

Easiest way to post IMO is to set up a photobucket.com account then copy and paste the ubb code.

3. iteech

iteech Shebasser

Sorry I misled people...some thought the NAME of it is Game Lake--it's actually A game lake...and the name of it is Shawn Lake, and here's the website: http://www.lakeshawn.com/home.htm It's in far eastern Ohio, near Powhatan Point, and right across the river from Wheeling, WV. As I said, it is pricey--but WELL worth it!!! And for those of you who said it sounded like a great place to take your son, your dad, etc--it is the most awesome place imaginable to do just that. Trust me on this one. There are cabins on the lake, and I'd DEFINITELY recommend you stay in the cabin--just so much more advantage to that--again, trust me on this one. And yes, the cabin is pricey too! I do not know if he has camping facilities--but that's a possibility, I'm sure. Two families I have recommended this to are now enthusiastic yearly attenders...and one guy took his dying father there for their "last fun together". His dad died four weeks later, but he told his son the fishing trip with him was the best thing that ever happened to him in his life. It is ethereally beautiful...you'll love it...and you'll also find it hard to get a reservation, of course the whole world loves it, and he only allows ONE party at a time on the lake! (Which is another cool thing). Anyway, check it out, if you're interested...

4. looks like a great place to check out....

5. Looks kinda expensive, but if a family saved up that would be a good trip.

6. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

Thanks for the link iteech, looks like an awesome little place.:)

7. Not unreasonable considering what a similar trip would cost to Ontario...especially if you add gas. You'd probably have a hard time finding as nice of cabins too. It would be a little more appealing if they had a slot size and small quantity limit...enough for a meal.

8. iteech

iteech Shebasser

...but that's one thing the owners are completely adamant about! They won't let you keep ANYTHING. Every time I go, I always say well at least let me keep 4 of those huge bluegill--that's plenty enough to feed 4 adults--they really are that big. But he always shakes his head and says "nah, can't let you!" And this lake is so overpopulated, I do not know how they keep it healthy--but it is. All the fish are huge-fat and healthy, and they are reproducing like crazy, even though he places much of the stock in there from a breeding pond. This lake has been active for about 40 years, so they obviously know what they are doing. I read reviews from game magazines that go back to 1969. It is very clear in most places (fed by a freezing-cold underground stream) and has a very healthy undergrowth--not overwhelming but great for cover. It is 60 feet deep in many places. I think I forgot to mention it, but there are also enormous lake trout in there too--I tried to catch one of those monsters (you can see them!) but they would not bite. Anyway as I said, WELL worth the money, for anyone who would like to go--and prepare to make it a yearly odyessy, because you WILL go back...